Student Health Services plans to get new building on campus

Senior Staff Writer

Published: Friday, November 30, 2012

Student Health Services

RACHEL WEISS/The Daily Campus

This Nov. 29 photo shows the entrance to Student Health Services. Student Health Services has plans for a new building on campus.

Student Health Services will continue to be an Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health accredited health care organization and has plans for a new building on campus.

An AAACH accreditation means that the facility has passed a thorough review of its practice and facilities. The accreditation, which UConn has held since 1985, serves an assurance of quality for students. The process involves detailed examination of everything from record keeping, staff credentials, laboratory procedurals and building quality.

“For us, it assures us that we really are providing high quality care,” SHS Director Michael Kurland said. “For students, it’s like a Good Housekeeping seal.”
Furthermore, the accreditation allows SHS to work with Medicare and helps with insurance participation, meaning students pay less out of pocket.

Only 100 to 200 schools nation-wide have an AAACH accreditation, according to Kurland. SHS was found to be sufficiently compliant in all categories with the exception of parking and the quality of the building.

“It wasn’t made for today’ standards for a medical facility,” Kurland said.

The latest accreditation renewal was issued Nov. 5 and expires Nov. 4, 2015. Kurland said that SHS hopes to address the areas of partial compliance in the near future.

“There are plans for a new building,” he said. He added that SHS is hoping to go before the Board of Trustees within the month to apply for approval for the new building.

In addition, SHS will be working with the new UConn Health Center branch coming to Storrs. He said that UConn Health Center and SHS will compliment each other, with UConn Health Center serving a larger, more general population.