Study abroad programs showcased at UConn fair

Published: Thursday, February 6, 2014

Updated: Thursday, February 6, 2014 22:02

On Thursday, the University of Connecticut Office of Global Affairs organized an event at the Rome Ballroom that featured the many study abroad programs offered by the university. 
“The idea is to showcase to students our study abroad programs and allow them to ask any questions that they might have,” said program specialist Abigail Hastillo.

Throughout the event, past participants and faculty meticulously answered questions students had in an effort to demystify the process of studying abroad.

While answering questions posed by interested students, 8th-semester history and economics major Peter Carbone described his own experience studying abroad during his junior year at the University of Warwick. Despite the seemingly daunting task of traveling abroad, Carbone said that it was not a difficult decision to make.

“I wanted to get experience, and studying abroad was honestly the best experience,” Carbone said.

In total, UConn offers more than 300 study abroad programs. The types of programs offered also vary.

One common type of program is those led by a UConn faculty member, and generally have students taking classes with other UConn students within their host university.

UConn exchange programs are also quite common and involve students being fully integrated into the host university and living in the same residence halls as local students, while still paying tuition directly to UConn.

Some study abroad programs are also organized by many third-party groups, which have been carefully approved by UConn’s Office of Study Abroad to allow students to attend foreign colleges.

Just as the programs offered varies considerably, the reasons for studying abroad varies from person to person.

“I’m interested in minoring in Spanish and would like to go to Spain to immerse myself in the language and culture,” said 2nd-semester biology major Shaynian Gilling.

The geographic location of the universities that offer study abroad programs for UConn students is also diverse. Universities in places as far away as Korea, Australia and China all featured programs at the fair.

But the established study abroad programs are not meant to constrain the places students can study. Students who are interested in studying at a foreign university, which does not have a program with UConn, can petition the Office of Study Abroad to approve their request to study at their desired university. Once approved, students will receive credit on coursework done at the university they studied at.