UConn braces for massive blizzard

Winter Storm Nemo is expected to dump 18 inches on UConn campus

News Editor

Published: Thursday, February 7, 2013

Blizzard hits UConn

FILE PHOTO

Plows around campus move piles of snow, slush and icy debris as a snow storm passed over the University in this Jan. 18, 2011 file photo. UConn has put in place measures to ensure students and faculty are prepared for the coming blizzard.

Storm photo

AP

This image made available by NOAA shows storm systems over the eastern half of the United States on Thursday, Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:15 EST. A blizzard of potentially historic proportions threatened to strike the Northeast with a vengeance Friday, Feb. 8, 2013 with 1 to 2 feet of snow feared along the densely populated Interstate 95 corridor from the New York City area to Boston and beyond.

A massive winter storm is expected to blast the Northeast and New England on Friday with cold temperatures, high winds and a heavy snowfall of one to two feet.

The storm, which is expected to hit Friday morning and last through Saturday afternoon, will bring negative temperatures with wind chill, strong winds with gusts as high as 47 mph and an estimated 18 inches of snow to Storrs, according to the National Weather Service. The blizzard’s brunt is expected to be seen from the New York metro area into Maine.

Text messages, the news media and UConn’s Facebook page and Twitter feeds may be the only reliable avenues of communication if power is lost, according to an email alert sent to UConn students and faculty on behalf of Mun Choi, provost and executive vice president, and Richard D. Gray, executive vice president for administration and CFO.

To receive university text notifications, visit alert.uconn.edu to register your phone. Information will also be provided on the University’s smartphone app, myUConn, which can be downloaded at my.uconn.edu.

The Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts, UConn Athletics and other units that sponsor activities decide independently whether to continue or cancel their events. However, emergency personnel, including public safety, residential and dining services, health services and facility maintenance will report to work as usual.

According to the alert email, UConn personnel will “make decisions about cancelling classes, closing early, opening late, or closing altogether very carefully, with full consideration of all available information about weather predictions and road conditions.”