UConn budget slashed by $15 million

News Editor and Senior Staff Writer

Published: Wednesday, November 28, 2012

UConn is facing an approximate $15 million budget cut after Gov. Dannel. P Malloy announced that Connecticut spending will be reduced $170 million across state agencies for the upcoming fiscal year.

The budget cut is the first step in a plan to close Connecticut’s $365 million deficit in the current year’s budget, according to The Associated Press.

A press release issued by the office of President Susan Herbst to UConn students and staff said, “Painful cuts will have to be made to many non-academic areas, but we will absolutely not allow them to endanger the work of our faculty or the academic success of our students, which are, after all, the reasons

we exist.”
According to University Spokesperson Stephanie Reitz, the university is still unsure what non-academic areas and programs will have their budgets cut.

“We are still actually figuring out specifics and what that would be,” Reitz said. “It’s still relatively new to us, too.”
USG officials said UConn’s ACC rejection and budget cut has been a hard hit to the university.

“It was more than we were expecting, we’re still gathering our thoughts about it,” said USG president Stephen Petkis, a 7th semester political science and human rights major. “Rest assured, we will be involved.”

Other USG members were disappointed by the budget cut.

“It says a lot about where we are going as a university,” said USG External Affairs Chair Michael Daniels in reference to both ACC rejection and budget cut.

“It’s been a very disappointing day at UConn,” Daniels said.

Connecticut is slated to be $1.2 billion in debt at the start of the new fiscal year, which begins on July 1, according to the AP.