UConn center Wolf may face deportation following Monday arrest

German player's burglary charge would leave 'pretty much no way' to stay in country if found guilty

Published: Tuesday, February 12, 2013

enosch ap photo

Bill Kostroun/AP

If convicted of the charges being brought against him, UConn junior center Enosch Wolf could soon run into issues with immigration.

Wolf, a native of Goettingen, Germany, and a German citizen, was arrested Monday morning and charged with burglary in the third degree, criminal trespass in the first degree and disorderly conduct.

While criminal trespass and disorderly conduct are both misdemeanor offenses, burglary in the third degree is a class D felony in the state of Connecticut, and could provide Wolf with a host of issues if he is found guilty.

In addition to the sentence that could result from a guilty verdict, a conviction could potentially lead to Wolf’s deportation, according to Renee Redman, a New Haven-based immigration attorney and professor at the UConn School of Law.

“Felonies can result in deportation for any non-U.S. citizen,” Redman said in a phone interview Tuesday.

Though she did not want to speak specifically about Wolf’s case, Redman did say that burglary falls under the category of an aggravated felony, one of several legal reasons that can be used for deportation.

But even if convicted of the felony, Wolf’s sentence would have to meet a minimum threshold to qualify him for deportation under federal aggravated felony law, Redman said.

According to Syracuse University’s TRAC Immigration website, a “burglary offense for which the term of imprisonment is at least one year,” meets the federal description of an aggregated felony offense that could lead to deportation.

In Redman’s experience, there is “pretty much no way of staying in this country,” if that criteria is met.

“It would certainly be fair to say that would be serious,” Redman said of such a conviction.

Citizens who are ejected from the country as a result of an aggregated felony are also permanently disqualified from returning to the country, according to Redman.

According to the Connecticut General Assembly website, a class D felony can carry a one to five year sentence, up to $5,000 fine, or both.

The incident for which Wolf is being charged occurred at 5:55 a.m. Monday at Hilltop Apartments in which he “had been in a physical altercation with a female resident of the building,” according to a police report.

According to the report, Wolf grabbed the victim’s hair, pushed her head, knocked off her glasses and refused to leave the apartment.

His bond was posted at $500 dollars and he is due in court on Wednesday.

Wolf has also been suspended from the men’s basketball team following the incident.

“We are aware of the situation concerning Enosch and we are taking the matter very seriously,” UConn coach Kevin Ollie said in a press release Monday. “He has been suspended indefinitely, until the legal and university process is finalized. I have spoken to the players on the team previously, and will continue to speak with them, about their conduct both on and off the basketball court. We have high expectations of our student-athletes at UConn, and I expect my players to live up to those standards.”

Wolf had made three starts and averaged 13.7 minutes and 3.4 points in the Huskies first 22 games prior to his arrest.

His absence leaves UConn woefully thin in the frontcourt, as junior Tyler Olander and freshman Phil Nolan are the only two remaining options up front.

The arrest came just two days prior to the Huskies’ matchup with conference-rival and sixth-ranked Syracuse. That game is set for a 7 p.m. tip-off on Wednesday.