UConn Democrats prepare for elections

Published: Thursday, September 27, 2012

Along with fall breezes and midterms comes elections season. And the University of Connecticut College Democrat Club is getting prepared for them.

Molly Rockett, the president of the club, said that the UConn College Democrats are “politically-involved students on campus who work to promote Democratic social policies, Democratic Candidates and just general political engagement. [They] meet weekly to discuss the news of the day, watch Colbert and Jon Stewart clips, listen to local elected officials speak, eat pizza and plan campaign events.”
These campaign events will be very pertinent, especially in the next couple of weeks until Election Day on Nov. 6. According to Rockett, the UConn College Democrats will be working hard to support the Democratic candidates in Mansfield who are running in very tight races. Specifically, the group is trying to do their part by partaking in a lot of organized grassroots campaigning. This includes phone banking, canvassing and dorm storming, which Rockett explained as visiting dorms to register voters.

The club will be supporting candidates such as Joe Courtney for Congress and Chris Murphy for Senate.

One such event that the UConn College Democrats will be putting on in the near future is on Saturday ,Oct. 6, when they will be partnering with the Alternate Political Society, the Young Americans for Liberty and the Collegians for a Constructive Tomorrow, along with several other statewide and campus organizations, to co-host a non-partisan youth political involvement conference.

“This conference was planned by students and will feature a keynote speech by Gov. Malloy, an opening address by Sec. of State Denise Merrill and a closing address by Mayor Boughton of Danbury, appearances by several other state politicians, as well as a free lunch and breakfast,” Rockett said.

Whether or not students decide to get involved, Rockett believes that volunteering for candidates with the election in some aspect is a good idea.

“Volunteering for candidates you believe in with other college students who share your views can be a really fun, so I would encourage everyone interested to reach out and get involved,” she said.

She also said that it is important to remember to vote in the various elections. “Voting is how you make your voice heard,” she said. “ It’s the most basic way of contributing to the political system and fulfilling your responsibility as a citizen. And if you’re one of those people who doesn’t think your voice counts, just remember that six years ago, in 2006, Joe Courtney won his congressional race by 82 votes.”
The club also has many plans for when the elections end.

“After the election, the College Democrats are looking forward to participating in and organizing travel opportunities, community service, and social advocacy in issues like women’s health, LGBT rights, health care and student loans,” Rockett said.