UConn names Intern of the Year

Published: Thursday, December 5, 2013

Updated: Thursday, December 5, 2013 00:12

Christina Edwards was named Intern of the Year by the Center for Career Development for her work at Sikorsky Aerospace Services.

A manager from Inroads, a foundation designed to place underserved youth in businesses and industries, took note of Edwards’ exceptional customer service skills while she was working at CVS.

With encouragement from the Inroads manager, Edwards applied, and after completing a mock interview process, her resume was sent out to several companies.

Edwards worked as the lead intern at Sikorsky in human resources.

Sikorsky is part of United Technologies, a company that makes products for industry, commercial and military use.

She had many duties, among them planning a luncheon for interns to meet with the president of the company.

Edwards explained that human resources does all of the behind the scenes work such as making sure employees are satisfied in the workplace and are not breaking the code of ethics.

“Sikorsky makes the helicopters and airplanes that the president of the United States uses for transportation,” said Edwards. “You need to make sure the employees are satisfied so they can work to the best of their ability.”

As a 5th-semester human development and family studies (HDFS) major, Edwards had to utilize many of the skills she has learned in class to be a better intern.

“It’s a very broad major that covers aspects of sociology, communication, and psychology all in one,” she said, “so you have to be well rounded in those areas in order to be in the human resources job field.”

She explained that HDFS deals with day-to-day relationships and situations that people go through which have made her more open-minded, a skill she needed in human resources.

“You have to be a sponge and absorb everything you hear and see and learn from the executives,” she said, “and don’t be afraid to ask questions.”

Both her supervisor at Sikorsky and her supervisor from Northwest nominated Edwards for this award, where she is a Residential Assistant.

She said she was very surprised to hear that she had won Intern of the Year because there are so many students who qualify.

“It showed me that I shouldn’t doubt myself or think I’m not as smart as the next person because I worked very hard for this award,” Edwards said. “So I proved myself wrong and learned not to downplay my work. It gave me the confidence to apply for even bigger awards.”

After working at Sikorsky for two years, her supervisor has asked her to continue to work there and there is a very good chance that she will be given a job offer when she graduates.

“You have to be perseverant because there are a lot of times when you may not get the position you apply for on the first try,” Edwards said.

When she first applied through Inroads she did not get accepted into the department of Sikorsky that she wanted, but she motivated herself to keep trying and apply for others.

“I ended up getting the internship of a lifetime,” said Edwards. “Just because one doesn’t hire you doesn’t mean that it’s the end for you. You have to have faith in yourself before anyone else can have faith in you, and employers will see that confidence in your demeanor.”