UConn offers support in wake of school shooting

News Editor

Published: Friday, December 21, 2012

The University of Connecticut has been offering its resources in the wake of the Newtown elementary school shooting.

“Nothing can undo the horrors of last Friday,” wrote UConn President Susan Herbst in an email sent to the UConn community. “… but each act of goodwill makes a difference, and reaffirms the fact that we are a community of compassion.”

UConn police officers helped manage the traffic surrounding funeral motorcades and aided in Newtown patrols, according to a university press release.

Dean Tom Defranco and his faculty in the Neag School of Education reached out to the Newtown school system with offers of assistance. Friday morning, the Neag School hosted a gathering during the statewide moment of silence to remember the victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.

Professor George Sugai, a leading expert in education whose research focuses on behavioral issues and solutions for students, worked with scholars across the nation to make recommendations to policy makers about school violence.

Faculty from the Department of Psychiatry offered assistance to the Red Cross and the Department of Children and Families and Geneticists at the UConn Health Center are supporting the Connecticut Chief Medical Examine, the release said.

Former UConn men’s basketball head coach Jim Calhoun spoke at City Place, the tallest skyscraper in Hartford, to raise money for our Sandy Hook Scholarship Fund at a moment of observance for the Sandy Hook victims Friday.