UConn RB Lyle McCombs arrested Friday

Published: Saturday, October 6, 2012

UConn starting running back Lyle McCombs was arrested early Saturday morning and charged with breach of peace in the second degree.

The 20-year-old McCombs was arrested at Hilltop Apartments at 12:19 a.m. after police responded to a call from a resident concerning a domestic dispute.

Police learned that McCombs had yelled, spit on and pushed his girlfriend outside of LaFlesche Hall.

Junior running back Martin Hyppolite will be starting for McCombs, who was suspended for the first quarter of the game. McCombs is still expected to play.

McCombs has had a slow start to this season compared to last year. Through give games, he only has 425 yards on 122 carries. Going into the season, the freshman All-American was on the Maxwell and Doak Campbell Award watch lists.

The charge carries a $500 non-surety bond and McCombs is due in court on Nov. 27.

A female, who may be McCombs' girlfriend, was arrested at 1:26 a.m. outside LaFlesche for spitting on, scratching and pushing her boyfriend and was similarly charged with breach of peace in the second degree.

Corrected: A previous version of this story stated McCombs was arrested Saturday morning instead of Friday.