UConn to unveil ‘meaner’ Husky logo

The Jonathan the Husky logo is getting a makeover to reflect an intimidating athletic program

Senior Staff Writer

Published: Monday, March 11, 2013

Husky logo

Courtesy of UConnHuskies.com

The current Jonathan the Husky logo, pictured above, is facing its final days as the university transitions to more serious and aggressive-looking husky logo.

UConn will be unveiling a new Husky logo that will replace the recognizable, tongue-lolling face of the current Jonathan logo, which appears on university buildings, property and merchandise.

The change is expected to be made later this spring in April or May, according to Mike Enright, an Associate Director of Athletic Communications.

The curent UConn Jonathan the Husky logo is undergoing a makeover and will appear to look less friendly and more intimidating, according to Sage Eposito, a 4th-semester landscape architecture major and member of the volleyball team who was shown the new logo.

The husky has been the official mascot of UConn since the 1930s and the current Husky emblem has been in use since 1996. A similar, more realistic-looking Husky logo served from 1982 to 1995.

“I like the current one now, but I think they wanted something more competitive,” said Eposito. “The current mascot is friendly and there isn’t enough athletics in it.”

Director of Athletics Warde Manuel refused to comment.

Enright said that many institutions regularly go through the process of creating a new logo.

Enright also said that information on the logo will not be released until it is officially unveiled and a discussion takes place regarding what will happen to the athletic gear at the Co-op.

According to Eposito, the athletics staff was shown the new logo back in Spring 2012 and has been working on changing the uniforms as well as the mascot. Eposito described the new Jonathan logo and said it still has the signature blue and white. However, the eyes on the new Jonathan will adopt a meaner and more aggressive-look because they will be slanted.

Eposito described her teammates’ reactions as indifferent toward the new logo, although they did understand the purpose for the change.

“I don’t hate it,” Eposito said. “I feel reserve about the change.”