Top College News Subscribe to the Newsletter

Update: Two subcontractors for UConn basketball facility issued stop-work orders

Site not shut down

Associate Sports Editor

Published: Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Updated: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 13:02

Two companies subcontracted to work on the UConn basketball practice facility have been issued stop-work orders by the state Department of Labor.

According to the university, the stop-work orders apply specifically to those subcontractors – Intex of Glastonbury and one of its subcontractors, J&V Construction – which were performing “specific, limited work” at the site.

Those two companies had been brought in to help work on the taping of sheet rock.

“They were paying cash to avoid payment of state and federal income taxes,” Gary Pechie, the Department of Labor’s Wage and Workplace Standards director, said. “And they didn’t have people on certified payroll that were working on that job…they underpaid wages also.”

The stop-work order does not pertain to UConn’s general contractor for the project, Daniel O’Connell’s Sons, and the construction site as a whole has not been shut down.

“Neither UConn nor its general contractor were aware of the violations alleged by the Department of Labor,” UConn spokesperson Stephanie Reitz said in an email, “nor would we condone any such work practices.”

Pechie added that there have been no penalties as of yet for the two subcontracting companies because the issue is still under investigation, but the payment of fines and back-wages is a possibility.

EDITOR’S NOTE: An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated that the construction site had been shut down entirely due to the stop-work order.

 

Recommended: Articles that may interest you

Be the first to comment on this article! Log in to Comment

You must be logged in to comment on an article. Not already a member? Register now

Log In