Baseball: Melley, Davey lead Huskies' offensive explosion

By Matt Zampini

After struggling to find offense and only putting up one run on Tuesday against the Boston College Eagles, the UConn baseball team rebounded in a gigantic way on Wednesday afternoon with a staggering 14-1 win over the Yale Bulldogs.
The Huskies had 15 hits on the day. Right from the beginning, this game was an offensive explosion for the Huskies. Tuesday was the fifth game of the year in which the Huskies scored 10 or more runs.
The offense has come and gone for the Huskies so far this year, but Blake Davey and Bobby Melley have been consistently leading the Huskies' offense, and that was evident once again on Wednesday.
"They have been our leaders offensively, there is no doubt about it," head coach Jim Penders said. "There's only two guys who have met expectations of the coaching staff or exceeded them and that's Blake and Bobby."
Melley has been on a tear over the past 13 games, going 26-for-46 (.565) and on Tuesday he continued that hot streak by grabbing three hits and a RBI.
When hitters get into a groove and are seeing the ball approach the plate there is almost nothing the pitcher can do. Melley attributed confidence, along with staying calm and collected at the plate, to his recent success.
"Just confidence, believing in myself," Melley said, "lately just haven't had any single doubt getting up to the plate that you think you're the best to ever played baseball once you get in between those lines. That's what I've been keeping in my head, every time just believing your going to get a knock, believing you're going to do something productive."
Davey also continued his hot streak on Tuesday, going 3-for-3, driving in four runs on three hits. In the fifth inning, Davey blasted his team-leading fourth home run of the season to left field, widening UConn's lead to 10-0. Davey also had two doubles, along with a single on Tuesday against the Bulldogs.
Davey attributed his success to his routine and looking for the right pitches.
"Just having a good approach, going up there all the time and knowing what you want when you go up there," Davey said. "Always having a plan more than anything and not guessing, and staying comfortable, I'd say that's mainly what it is."
UConn will have two days off before the offense can get back out on the diamond and swing the bats again as they will play Bryant twice and Stony Brook at Dodd Stadium in Norwich.