Men's track starts busy weekend

By Matt Kren

The UConn men's track and field team will compete in the UConn Decathlon on Thursday and Friday in Storrs, the Larry Ellis Meet in Princeton, New Jersey on Friday and the Dog Fight on Saturday in Albany, New York. With a busy schedule this week, the Huskies have a chance to gain momentum ahead of next month's outdoor championships.
The UConn Decathlon is an event where then junior Jesse Chapman finished second overall last year, placing in the top three in seven out of ten events, accumulating a score of 6,969 points overall. He finished 103 points ahead of then senior Sam Smith, who finished in third place, and ahead of then senior Ben Waruch and junior Sean Walsh, who finished sixth and seventh, respectively. The decathlon is a ten meet event that consists of both track and field events where the winner is determined by the combined performance in all the events. The events at a men's decathlon are, in order: the 100 meter run, long jump, shot put, high jump and 400 meter run on day one, along with 110 meter hurdles, discus throw, pole vault, javelin throw and 1500 meter run on day two.
Last year, the Huskies did not compete in the Larry Ellis Meet, but they did compete in 2012, where the Huskies had eight top-five finishes, counting a first place finish in the 4x100 meter relay. After winning the Dog Fight in 2013, an annual event against the Albany Great Danes, the Huskies will look to extend their record in this event to 4-1. UConn won their second consecutive meet against Albany last year after strong performances by then sophomore Brian Eilers, freshman Adam Boucher and then senior captain Jake Waruch who finished first, second and third, respectively, in the javelin throw. Other first place finishes were turned in by then senior Josh Faboyede in the hammer throw, sophomore Amanze Williams in the long jump, and now senior captain Eric Masington in the discus throw and in the shot put.
After nine first-place finishes in the UConn Spring Invite last weekend against the University of Rhode Island in Storrs, the Huskies will look to once again use the home field advantage to win another meet. The decathlon starts at 2 p.m. and will be at the Sherman Family Sports Complex, continuing on day two at 12 p.m.