Softball falls to Boston University

By Kyle Constable

A pair of crucial wins against Memphis this weekend at home seemed to indicate the UConn softball team (7-21) was finally getting its season back on track. However, Wednesday's 3-1 loss to Boston University (16-12) has shown that the Huskies' struggles are not over yet.
Inclement weather initially postponed UConn's match-up with the Terriers, which was scheduled to take place on Tuesday, but the Huskies hoped to keep their momentum going, even if they had to wait another day.
Despite a couple of hiccups along the way, UConn appeared to be doing just that through the first five innings.
Junior pitcher Lauren Duggan was on the mound for the Huskies, and she kept the first five innings scoreless in spite of giving up five hits while her teammates gave up two errors. UConn let Boston University load the bases in the first, second and fourth innings, but did not let them score.
Senior Maddy Schiappa accounted for the Huskies' only run of the game. She initially reached base on an error in the top of the fourth, and a sacrifice bunt from junior Emily O'Donnell advanced her into scoring position. Senior Audrey Grinnell hit a single into centerfield, putting runners on the corners. Sophomore Alyson Ambler came to the plate and hit a single to second base, scoring Schiappa and giving UConn a 1-0 lead.
But as in several other games already this season, it was the sixth inning that cost them the game.
The Terriers' tying run reached first base on an error committed by sophomore shortstop Lexi Gifford. Duggan struck out out the next batter she faced, but gave up four consecutive singles, driving in three Boston University runs.
UConn tried to rally back in the top of the seventh, but three straight outs ended the inning quickly for the Terriers. Duggan finished the day having given up nine hits and three earned runs, falling to 5-11 on the season with a 3.78 ERA.
The Huskies now face a quick turnaround as they return to the Nutmeg State for a game against in-state rival Quinnipiac in Hamden, Conn. today, which was initially postponed from last week due to inclement weather. UConn will take the field at 3:30 p.m