Men's Hockey Notebook: Sims becomes second senior to 100 career points for UConn

By Scott Carroll

The UConn men's hockey team split a pair of games with the Holy Cross Crusaders this weekend, losing Friday night 3-1 and crushing the Crusaders 5-0 on Saturday.
The Huskies fell to the Crusaders Friday night after a second period that they couldn't recover from.
UConn was outshot 16-5 in the period and allowed a goal at the 17:21 mark of the period off the stick of the Crusaders' Mike Barrett.
Head Coach Mike Cavanaugh was less than pleased with the team's effort in the second period.
"The second period, we just got totally outplayed," Cavanaugh said. "They outworked us... every facet of the game we got outplayed and we were fortunate just to be down by two goals."
After this weekend, the Huskies are tied for third in the Atlantic Hockey Conference with Air Force.
"When you're down the stretch run and you're playing for a league title, you can't have those second periods," Cavanaugh said. "You could have a period where you don't particularly play great, but not to the point where it's 16-5 and that was total domination by Holy Cross."
 "I don't think we got to the net enough," Cavanaugh said. "We didn't get pucks or bodies to the net tonight. So that's something for sure, if we want to win tomorrow night, we got to get pucks and bodies to the net."
The Huskies would get another shot at the Crusaders on the following night and had to make adjustments.
The Huskies certainly got pucks and bodies to the net during Saturday night's game. They took 41 shots in the game and scored multiple goals off of rebounds and through traffic.
Cody Sharib scored the first goal of the night in the first period as he cleaned up a shot off the pad of the Crusaders' goaltender to make it 1-0.
Joey Ferriss was also able to clean up a rebound shot to make the score 2-0 late in the first period. Assisting on the play was Jordan Sims, who became the Huskies' second player this season to reach 100 career points, joining Brant Harris.
Jacob Poe would score early in the second period as he took a slap shot that snuck through traffic and into the back of the net.
Brent Norris was the next Husky to finish off a rebound in the second period as he collected a rebound off of a one-timer to push the lead to 4-0.
Ferriss would score his second goal of the evening as the Huskies once again got bodies to the net. Kyle Huson let a slap shot loose toward the net as Ferris tipped the shot past the goaltender to make the score 5-0.
Also on display Saturday night was freshmen Robby Nichols who was able to record his second shut-out of his career. The young goaltender stopped all 38 of the Crusaders' shots en route to a win.
The Huskies' next pair of games come this weekend as they take on the Army Black Knights in a home and away double header with the first game occurring Friday night at 7:05 p.m. at Freitas Ice Forum in Storrs.