Baseball: UConn takes down Yale in rout

By Scott Carroll

• In this Feb. 16, 2014, photo, students are shown in one of the University of Connecticut’s dorm rooms in the Northwest Residence Halls. A housing shortage, which has plagued the university since the fall semester, is preventing some students from living on campus next semester. New dormitories are not expected to be completed until 2016 despite planned increases in student enrollment. KAITLIN STORO/The Daily Campus

The UConn baseball team eviscerated the Yale Bulldogs yesterday, winning 14-1 in a blowout victory.
The Huskies were primed from the beginning as Bryan Daniello got the party started with a leadoff double to left field and would score the very next at bat as Kyle Davies singled to centerfield. Davies would score on a throwing error by the Yale shortstop. The Huskies would add another three runs in the inning as they finished the inning scoring five runs on five hits.
The Huskies would add another run in the bottom of the second as consecutive doubles by Davies and Bobby Melley would result in Davies crossing the plate, making the score 6-0.
"Lately I just haven't had any single doubt," Melley said. "You get up to the plate and you think you're the best that ever played baseball. Once you get between those lines, a pitcher's nothing to you. That's what I've been keeping in my head... every time just believing you're going to get a knock."
UConn would strike again with another four runs in the bottom of the fourth innings highlighted by a three run homerun off the bat of Davies as he crushed a pitch over the left field fence, leaving the score at 10-0.
"Homerun's an accident," Davies said. "It's never anything I intend to do. It just happens to occur. When it does, it's nice."
The Huskies would cap their scoring in the bottom of the sixth as another four Huskies crossed the plate as Nico Darras was able to score on a balk while Daniello and Jack Sundberg score on a single from Vinny Siena.
The Bulldogs would score their lone run in the top of the seventh as Alec Hoesche crossed the plate on a fielder's choice off the bat of Nate Adams.
Neither team would be able to cross a runner in the last two innings of the game as the Huskies would take the game in a laugher 14-1.
Jordan Tabakman picked up his second win of the season while pitching two innings and only allowing one hit. The Huskies used six pitchers in total in the game with none of the pitchers pitching more than two innings.
Eric Hsieh earned a loss for the Bulldogs as he let up six runs on seven hits in only an innings pitch. The loss is the first for Hsieh this season.
"Thankfully we responded from such a pitiful offensive performance yesterday and the guys showed some fight today," head coach Jim Penders said.
The Huskies will face off against Bryant and Stony Brook this weekend at Dodd Stadium in Norwich, Conn. starting on Friday at 3 p.m.