Men's Track: UConn succeeds at unscored meet
This weekend, the UConn men's track & field team competed in New York at the Lafayette/Rider Invitational, an unscored meet. Although it is unscored, this did not stop the team from turning in another top performance, which was highlighted by four first-place finishes. Leading the first place finishes once again was senior captain Darnell Cummings who won the gold medal in the 60 meter dash with a time of 6.83 seconds. Also winning first place were freshman Chinedu Amonu with a time of 1:03:70 in the 500 meter, his best time to date, freshman Craig Hunter with a 5.10 meter jump in the pole vault, 0.1 meter of his career high, and sophomore Harley Lacroix with a 15.23 meter jump in the triple jump. Amonu and Cummings also shined in the 200 meter dash, earning second and third respectively.
Overall, the Huskies turned in 28 top-ten finishes, 18 being top-five finishes. The most dominant performances were turned in in pole vaulting and various jumping and throwing competitions. The pole vault saw the Huskies take all three places and four of the top seven with freshman Hunter in first, sophomore Grunwald in second, senior captain Cory Duggan in third and sophomore Tim Murphy in seventh. Not to be outdone, the Huskies did excellent in the high jump with junior Tobey Belton getting second and freshman Demario Gray getting fourth, as well as three top ten finishes in the long jump and three top ten finishes in the triple jump.
In the weight throw, junior Oluwatosin Edwards got second with a throw of 18.78 meters and senior captain Eric Masington also got second in the shot put with 17.24 meters. Other top ten finishes include sophomore Robert Hovanec, who placed fifth in the 400 meter, senior Paul DeSalvo who placed eighth in the 800 meter, freshman Randall Wall who placed seventh in the 60 meter hurdle and sophomore Bryan Fowler and freshman Mike O'Donnell, who placed fifth and ninth respectively in the mile run.
Next weekend, the Huskies will participate in the Alex Wilson Invitational in South Bend, Indiana, which Notre Dame calls home.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
- Men's Basketball: Jalen Adams commits to UConn
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest
- Growing Investment Opportunities In Green -- and Blue --...
- 5 Tips for Healthy Eating as We Age
- Comparison-Shopping for Life Insurance Made Easy
- AARP Offers Tools for Caregivers
- Getting the Best Price for Your House to Help Finance...
- Why Purchase a Fishing License?