Editorial: Bus trip to Final Four a welcome effort to help students support their team

By Editorial Board

This weekend the UConn men's basketball team will be competing in the Final Four in Texas coming off of Sunday's victory in the Elite Eight against tournament favorite, Michigan State. Naturally it is something that students are and should be excited about. The university has offered relatively cheap tickets for the Final Four at $40 per ticket. However, a large part of the cost for students isn't in the ticket, but rather in getting themselves to the game. As such, USG should be commended for their efforts to help students get to the big game.
Announced earlier this week, USG will be offering $100 round trip bus tickets to 51 students. While students will still incur additional costs due to lodging, food, and other expenses, this option does allow them to save some money on the travel portion and is certainly helpful. A similar arrangement would have been helpful during the Sweet Sixteen at Madison Square Garden. While USG did offer a $50 rebate on tickets, which were rather expensive, some form of organized transportation would have been helpful in addition to a reduced ticket price. Many students do not have cars on campus and thus were limited in getting to the game despite the close proximity of the venue. The cost would have likely been cheap compared to the Dallas trip considering the shorter distance and the lack of cost for lodging given that students could go to and from the game on the same day. As an alternative to a bus, it also could have been helpful to assist in the organization of carpooling with students who had cars and were planning on driving to the game.
It is understandable that USG likely created these programs on short notice given the nature of the tournament, in addition to having a limited budget. However, it is absolutely something that should be planned for in the coming years. Transportation is already offered for students in getting to home games held at Rentschler Field for football and at the XL Center for basketball. This same commitment of getting students to games should continue in the postseason, especially with a run as deep as this year. What USG is doing for the Final Four is great and will hopefully continue and expand with future tournament appearances.