KKG and SAE suspended
The Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority house decorated for accepted bids day. The sorority, along with Sigma Alpha Epsilon, have recently entered a temporary suspension period due to accusations of hazing facing the organizations. File Photo/The Daily Campus
The Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority and Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity have been temporarily suspended by University of Connecticut Office of Community Standards amidst allegations of a hazing incident at a SAE off-campus house on Route 195 are investigated.
Under suspension, both organizations are prohibited from hosting or participating in activities and events while their cases are reviewed. They are also unable to participate in any outside organizations where a member may be representing the sorority or fraternity.
"This action is preliminary in nature and is utilized when information indicates that the presence of your organization on campus could pose a threat to the health and safety of the campus community," University spokesperson Stephanie Reitz said in a letter to the presidents of the national KKG and SAE organizations.
The suspension is not a sanction, but a "preliminary step in the process of determining the facts and what violations the groups may have committed, if any," Reitz said.
The decision to suspend the groups was made in collaboration with the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life.
The groups will be suspended until the case is resolved.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Behind the Printing Press: Talent
- Delta Gamma appeals revoked recognition
- BREAKING: Two UConn Sororities and One Fraternity Banned
- Men's Basketball: Former Huskies take pride in UConn's fourth championship
- Men's Basketball: Different decisions, no regrets for Daniels, Boatright
- UConn Football is Back
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- For Dwight Clark, the Catch Is Chiropractic Care
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools
- Two Sides of Curb Appeal: Beauty and Performance
- Using Subtypes to Guide Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer