KKG and SAE suspended
The Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority house decorated for accepted bids day. The sorority, along with Sigma Alpha Epsilon, have recently entered a temporary suspension period due to accusations of hazing facing the organizations. File Photo/The Daily Campus
The Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority and Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity have been temporarily suspended by University of Connecticut Office of Community Standards amidst allegations of a hazing incident at a SAE off-campus house on Route 195 are investigated.
Under suspension, both organizations are prohibited from hosting or participating in activities and events while their cases are reviewed. They are also unable to participate in any outside organizations where a member may be representing the sorority or fraternity.
"This action is preliminary in nature and is utilized when information indicates that the presence of your organization on campus could pose a threat to the health and safety of the campus community," University spokesperson Stephanie Reitz said in a letter to the presidents of the national KKG and SAE organizations.
The suspension is not a sanction, but a "preliminary step in the process of determining the facts and what violations the groups may have committed, if any," Reitz said.
The decision to suspend the groups was made in collaboration with the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life.
The groups will be suspended until the case is resolved.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit