Success in Co-Op secret sales

Mid-semester slumps of disinterest spark rise of sales for students

By Melissa Rosenblatt

• Students pack and stuff goods from the UConn Co-Op during their Secret Sale. The event is revealed through student emails and has quickly grown in popularity. The Secret Sale was created to bring excitement to the mid-semester slump of campus life. Kaitlin Storo/The Daily Campus

The UConn Co-Op's secret sales have gained popularity in recent years and continue to grow in order to give back to price-conscious college students. The secret sales held at the Co-Op have brought enthusiasm to the campus because of their unexpected deals for normally high priced UConn gear.
Though the sales have gained in popularity recently, the secret sales were started several years ago. The secret sales were created to bring excitement to times during the semester when there wasn't much else going on. As well as secret sales, the Co-Op also holds other special discounts, such as after a win by the football or basketball teams. These sales are highly attended, as many students love to show their Husky pride.
As a college student, it can be difficult to have extra spending money for a new UConn sweatshirt or t-shirt, which is why it is so exciting to see that a sale is occurring at the Co-Op. Robert Hawley, UConn Co-op Technology and Merchandise Division Manager, reveals that "by bringing in the kind of bulk that we do, we are able to offer UConn gear at very low prices."
"I think it's great because you can buy a bunch of shirts for the price of one," said Alison Garman, a 6th semester speech language hearing sciences major, "even though I didn't go exactly at 12 p.m. when it started, there were still a lot of great deals left over.
There has been a great response from the students to these secret sales. It is often very crowded at the beginning of the sale, with students wanting to get to the best deals first. "The past two Secret Sales have attracted in excess of 1,000 students over the course of about 90 minutes from the start of the sale," Hawley said. The crowds also come out of curiosity after receiving a mysterious email announcing the sale and seeing tons of signs around the Co-Op days before. In addition, there is often an announcement in the Student Daily Digest getting the word out about the sale, as well as on the Co-Op website www.bookstore.uconn.edu.