Editorial: Honor Earth Week by going green

By Editorial Board

• Kiersten Tupper carries the ball during UConn's 14-11 loss to Vermont.

This week is Earth Week and over the next few days over one billion people across the globe will be celebrating its 42nd anniversary, which is on April 22. In the U.S., it'll be studied widely in our schools, and youth will be commemorating the day. Earth Week is a time to appreciate the beauty of our planet, but it is also a time to call attention to the need to act responsibly as individuals in order to conserve resources and to sustain our planet for future generations.

Earth Day is supposed to be a day celebrating Mother Earth in all her bountiful glory. But, with global warming, climate change, clean water, carbon footprints, skyrocketing gas prices and animal extinction all hot topics in the news, hasn't every day become a veritable Earth Day?

Think about how many news reports there are focusing on the impact humans have on the Earth. How many new products are there touting titles like "eco-friendly" or "organic?" How many more people are recycling or reducing their driving? To be honest, despite the media frenzy and consumer goods, we're not sure whether that much has changed.

Maybe what people need is not the fear instilled in headlines like "Planet in Peril." In an uncertain financial future, people need to be reminded on ways they can save money. With that in mind, here is a basic rundown of a few things anyone can do to help save the environment.

Change your light bulbs. Electricity is the number one pollutant and cause of carbon emissions.

Recycle. It's not that difficult. All you need to do is get another trash bin, box, or something that contains things, and throw all your aluminum cans, plastic bottles and glass into it. How easy is that?

Clean green. Ammonia smells like it does because it's not natural. Do you really want to sit in a bathtub covered in it? Look for greener cleaning options that smell better and do not involve harmful chemicals that are equally detrimental to the environment.

Turn off the tap, every time you wash your face or brush your teeth. Also, shave a few minutes off your showering time. You'll save hundreds of gallons of water each year doing so.

Buy organic produce. It saves on the carbon used to drive it over to the grocery store and it seriously tastes better - you know, like fruit is supposed to taste.

These seem like simple ideas because they are. Going green does not have to involve solar paneling, rollerblading to work or becoming a vegan. A few adjustments in your lifestyle can translate into being green and reducing your carbon footprint without having to do anything very different. Wasn't that easy?