Alumni author offers advice in the dating world

By Shaquana Chaneyfield
On November 25, 2012

Last Sunday I sat down and spoke with Elizabeth Glasband, the author of  "Are You Kidding Me?," a 'Journal of First Dates, Flings, and Finding Love.' Elizabeth Glasband is a University of Connecticut class of 2004 alumni who graduated with a degree in finance. Published earlier this year, her dating journal lets the reader in on the love and relationship experiences that Glasband has gone through throughout her life so far. Starting with her long term high school relationship and ending with her current relationship, this book is a look into that. She discloses the embarrassing, the heartbreaking, and the bright side of her dating life. This book can be best described as a book that everyone can relate to in some way. Especially college aged students in relationships and those casually dating.

Question: What was your biggest inspiration in writing this book?

Elizabeth: "It wasn't my goal. It kind of just happened. One thing just led to another."

Question: Are you currently working on another book? If so what can we expect it to touch upon?

Elizabeth: "I started another book and it shifts gears because I'm in a relationship now. It sort of picks up from where I left off in 'Are You Kidding Me?'

Question: What is the best piece of relationship advice you've ever received?

Elizabeth: "That's a tough one, but I would say to go with your gut. You know yourself better than anyone else"

Question: Do you have advice for aspiring authors?

Elizabeth: "You need a lot of persistence to write a book. Once you write it, that's probably the easiest part. There's a lot more after the writing. It's a long process, but if you're persistent, it can be done."

Question: What message do you want readers to grasp from this book?

Elizabeth: "Well, I would say that bad dates are not the end of the world. TV Shows like 'Sex and The City' are so out of touch with the reality of dating. That's why I wrote this book, to give readers something to relate to"

Question: What piece of advice do you have for girls and guys at UConn looking for more than casual dating?

Elizabeth: "Well, you have to remember that it's college and a lot of people are still growing. You just have to let people enjoy themselves and be upfront about everything or people can get led on."

Question: What did you learn the most when you attended UConn?

Elizabeth: "UConn taught me how to balance life. There, you're forced to learn how to balance having fun and at the same time also getting your work done. It's up to you."