New holiday season, new holiday TV specials

By Loumarie Rodriguez
On November 25, 2012

Watching holiday movies is an important tradition that many people, including myself, enjoy year after year. Typically starting the day after Thanksgiving a good majority of TV channels will air every holiday movie they have in stock.

Although Hallmark channel airs the most holiday specials and even created brand new movies just for the holiday season, we can't forget the rest of the other channels that air traditional movies we are familiar with. The classics that most people look forward to are the 60's and 70's stop motion cartoons. Some of these titles include "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town," "Rudolph's Shiny New Year" and even 1993's "The Nightmare before Christmas." It seems that people can't get enough of stop motion movies. 

A more recent use of stop motion can be seen in the Christmas episode of NBC's popular sitcome, "Community."Abed, one of the main characters of the show, set at a community college, dreams of his friends and him gallivanting around the North Pole in stop motion. Now "Spongebob Squarepants" as their own episode using stop motion. The episode has already aired on CBS but will air again on December 9 on its home channel of Nickelodeon according to Boston.com.   

Although stop motion is entertaining, you can't forget the other classic holiday movies such as "White Christmas" with Bing Crosby which introduced the song "White Christmas." It is a bit of a corny musical but it's still entertaining with all the Vermont snow and the optimistic holiday spirit. There is also the classic "It's a Wonderful Life" however if you want to tune into all the old classic Christmas movies Turner Classic Movies is the best place to view them all. 

Another older classic is 'A Christmas Story' and little Ralphie wanting his Red Ryder B.B. gun. Every year TBS plays a 24 hour marathon of this movie on Christmas so there is no chance of missing it. TBS is also known to play 1966's "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" numerous times throughout the season.

Other popular channels including Disney, Nickelodeon, and Cartoon Network will be airing their usual holiday specials including some from a few old TV shows for the holiday season. Cartoon Network will be airing 'Johnny Bravo' Christmas special as well as a few Scooby Doo Christmas episodes varying from different decades. And we can't forget the classic Looney Tunes with "Bah Humduck," and Disney will air their version of 'A Christmas Carol' starring Uncle Scrooge from "Ducktales" with Donald Duck as Fred, Scrooge's nephew, and the famous Mickey Mouse playing as Bob Cratchit.   

Meanwhile there are the modern classics such as "The Polar Express" which can really take you and your imagination on a journey. A wild adventure to the North Pole to understand the true meaning of believing can be really entertaining especially with the zany Tom Hanks voicing the conductor. Of course there is the "Home Alone" franchise which ABC Family dedicates marathons to and has even created a brand new one, despite the disaster of "Home Alone  4." 

There is also the modern version of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" with Jim Carrey but depending on your tastes, that version is on the odd side with all the unusual Dr. Seuss related characters. 

It's impossible to miss out on any holiday specials since a good majority of channels are prepared months ahead for the holiday season.