Storrs Side: Men's basketball drops out of nation's top 25 teams

By Elan DeCarlo

The UConn Huskies find themselves outside of the AP Top 25 for the first time in four weeks.  This loss brings UConn to a 21-6 record, dropping them to No. 5 in the American where they have a 9-5 record. SMU moved to 22-6 (11-4 AAC) and are back in the Top 25, slotted at No. 23. They previously beat UConn on Jan. 4, 74-65 completing the season sweep.

Elsewhere, the Florida Gators are the new No. 1 in the Associated Press poll, as this is the first time for the Gators to be at the top since 2007. At 25-2, Florida has been playing great basketball, their last loss coming at the hands of UConn in early December. Florida is the fifth team this season to hold the top spot in the AP poll. They received 47 of the 65 first place votes, the rest going to Wichita State and Arizona.  Syracuse, who had previously held the top spot as an undefeated team, was defeated twice last week, by Boston College and Duke, thus dropping in the polls at No. 4. Wichita State, who remains undefeated, moved up to No. 2, while Arizona and Kansas round out the top five. 

The American held strong with four representatives in the poll; No. 7 Lousiville, No. 11 Cincinnati, No. 21 Memphis and No. 23 SMU. UConn was the highest vote getter of any team that fell outside of the Top 25, effectively ranking them No. 26. This late season bump out of the poll should serve as motivation for the Huskies, as the conference and national tournaments are creeping up.