UConn releases annual university data

By UConn releases annual university data
On January 28, 2013

• Wilbur Cross, pictured above, is located on the UConn Storrs campus. UConn recently released its annual fact sheet, which includes data and statistics regarding the university‚Äôs student population, faculty and finances. FILE PHOTO/THE DAILY CAMPUS

UConn released their annual fact sheet, which includes data and statistics on the university's student population, faculty, cost and budget.
Revenue generated, tuition increased
Campus revenue, which includes tuition, state appropriation and grants, generated revenue of $1 million this year. Last year, campus expenditures outweighed revenue by $4.6 million.
The university's budget increased by $0.9 billion from the 2012 budget of $1.8 billion
Tuition, fees, room and board increased by $1,016 for in-state students, and by $1,952 for out-of-state students.
Student minority ratio increased
Since 2012, the percentage of minority students has increased by 2 percent, from 24 to 26. Reitz said the increase is due to a "comprehensive effort" on behalf of the university. The Latino population at UConn has seen the most growth in the last year, she said.
Reitz said the increase of minority students is due to a "comprehensive effort" on behalf of the university. UConn has implemented several programs that focus on increasing the number of minority group applicants and retaining minority students until graduation.
One UConn program designed to increase the percentage of minority students is Upward Bound, a federally-funded program that aims to provide predominantly urban high school students with opportunities to attend college.
At UConn, high school students from Hartford, New Haven and Windham receive year-long assistance intended to prepare them for college.
Other programs include Mentoring, Education and Training for Academic Success, a mentoring program organized by the Puerto Rican and Latin American Cultural Center, and the Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation.
"We are glad to see it's accomplishing what we set out to do," Reitz said of the programs.
SAT scores improved
From 2012 to 2013, the average SAT score of incoming freshmen at Storrs increased by 10 points. In 2011, the average score was 1216, and in 2013, the average score was 1226.
"We had a nice bump in our SAT scores,' Reitz said.
SAT scores of students from Connecticut schools decreased by an average of four points, and the national average decreased by one point.
Enrollment decreased, faculty and staff increased
In 2012, there were 6.8 students to every faculty and staff member at the Storrs and regional campuses. This year, there are 6.5 students per faculty and staff member.
Faculty and staff at the Storrs and regional campuses increased by 114 members since last year. Faculty and staff include all university personnel at the Storrs and regional campuses.
The fall 2013 enrollment for the Storrs and regional campuses decreased by 269 from last year's enrollment of 30,525.
The undergraduate enrollment at Storrs decreased by 287 from the 2012 count of 17,815 students. Graduate student enrollment decreased by 98 students.