New liquor store in Storrs Center

By Marissa Piccolo
On January 23, 2014

• “Storrs Wine and Spirits,” located in the Storrs Center is now open for business. Troy Caldeira/The Daily Campus

As of last Friday, "Storrs Wine and Spirits," owned and operated by Dil Bhandari and Nitya Poudel, has become the latest addition to the expanding Storrs Center. It is the first and only liquor store to have moved into and opened shop in the new downtown, located on the far right side of Royce Circle.
As Storrs Center grows, Bhandari and Poudel hope to become part of the vibrant UConn and greater Mansfield community, pledging to do "whatever we can to help." Opening alongside clothing store oneTribe and Japanese restaurant Haru Aki Café, the two aim to enhance the overall experience of the downtown and diversity of shops as visitors come and explore.
Although they had a "soft opening" a few days ago, there is a grand opening planned for Thursday, Feb. 6. As they settle in and continue adjusting and refining their inventory, Bhandari and Poudel encourage members of the Storrs-Mansfield community to come in and share what type of brands and products they would like to see in the store. Their variety will largely depend on customer preferences during their first weeks open and in business, as they continue getting shipments in slowly. Whether craft beers, fine wines or hard liquor, they are excited to accommodate and serve their customers in the best, most personal, way they can. The two also emphasized their commitment to keep prices reasonable.
Opening "Storrs Wine and Spirits" was an exciting experience for Bhandari and Poudel. Starting from scratch, neither has ever owned a liquor store before. After the entire process of securing licenses, permits and bouncing back and forth with the contractor, they are proud of how their business is developing and store has come out.
They are looking forward meeting the people of Storrs-Mansfield, getting feedback and becoming part of the friendly and welcoming atmosphere. The two appreciate any support and business, and are greatly anticipating what lies ahead.