SUBOG implements change and student feedback for future events

By AbMace
On January 23, 2014

SUBOG and the Student Activities board will use student feedback to implement additions to popular spring semester events such as Winter Weekend and concerts, while also providing opportunities for Huskies to become more involved on campus.
The first major event on the calendar is the Spring Involvement Fair, which will take place on Jan. 29 from 2 to 7 p.m. in the Student Union. Jillian McCarthy, SUBOG Vice President of Programming, said the involvement fair is an optimal first step for students who are unsure of which club or organization they would like to join.
"I would first recommend going to the involvement fair," McCarthy said. "It's a great way to meet a lot of people, and everyone is interested in what they do. Students can also look (clubs) up online and talk to friends to get information about what they like and what their interests are."
Winter Weekend, a long-held UConn tradition, will kick off on Feb. 6 and continue until Feb. 8. In honor of the 2014 Winter Olympics, the theme of Winter Weekend will be "Snowlympics" and will feature traditional events such as the 35th anniversary of the One-Ton Sundae in addition to an electronic dance music concert, 8th Groove Boston, and curling and hot chocolate on Fairfield Way.
Changes that SUBOG will implement for the spring semester include the option of purchasing tickets for events such as travel trips online instead of solely at the ticket booth in the Student Union. Also, new lectures will be offered in February although the topics of these lectures have yet to be released.
Such changes were the result of feedback SUBOG received from students mainly through its Facebook page. McCarthy said students who voice their opinion also influence major events such as concerts.
This past October, student expressed that they wanted a new style of artist to perform at Jorgensen for the fall concert. SUBOG listened and brought in Timeflies, a duo ranging in performances of dubstep, hip hop, funk, electronic, pop and R&B music. McCarthy said the concert was a success despite the fact that it was held on a Monday night during midterm week.
"Students wanted to see a different style of performer, so that's what we did. We really try and cater things to the UConn community," McCarthy said.
The artist performing at the much-anticipated spring concert will be revealed later in the semester. Other events that will dot the Spring 2014 calendar include the the ski trips to Berkshire East mountain in Massachusetts, comedy performances every other Thursday beginning Jan. 23 and movie showings in the Student Union Theatre.