Organ donors begin endless cycle of generosity

By Lauren Smith
On December 5, 2012

Almost everyone has seen the clip from "Superbad" in which McLovin hands over his ID in a panic and waits for a few unbearable seconds until the cop responds, "You're an organ donor...I didn't want to be one but my wife insisted."
 Many people have rarely given organ donation a second thought. But the next time you go to the DMV, I implore you to become an organ donor.
I fully understand the power of organ donation. On Oct. 14, I lost one of my best childhood friends, Marisa Auerbach, to heart failure and complications from Post Transplant Lymphoma, a kind of cancer that is caused by medications used against the immune system following a transplant. She was only 22, but her life expectancy was extended 10 years due to the heart transplant she received in 2001.
 Before her transplant, she could not run or do many daily activities, but after her transplant she was able to do everything. You would never have guessed that she had ever been sick. Even I often forgot. She was a completely normal young adult.
She received her heart from Cynthia Lucero, who died while running the Boston Marathon. The heart was a perfect match, and Marisa didn't have heart problems again until February 2012, when she was diagnosed with cancer.
Besides being an amazing friend, Marisa was an advocate for organ donation. When she met someone who was not an organ donor, she was always able convince him or her to become one. She was living proof that a transplant can add valuable years to a person's.
Marisa was unbelievable; I mean it from the bottom of my heart. We spent every summer together on Cape Cod, talking in the ocean for hours and enjoying barbeques every night. We often spent holidays together with our families. In July, despite the fact that she had cancer, we made slightly premature plans to celebrate our 30th birthdays together (in eight years) on the beach where we met when we were five. She wanted so badly to find a guy who treated her right and wanted to spend her life helping cancer and transplant patients get through their illnesses, while advocating for organ donation. Nothing was going to hinder her dreams, because she had persevered through a lot already.
She thought she was invincible because, in many respects, she was. She attended college in Pennsylvania; she even went skydiving. I never heard her complain once during chemotherapy. She would admit to having bad days, but that was the extent of it. She would tell me she was doing well, and then would say, "I don't want to talk about myself; tell me about your life!"
Due to the generosity of her organ donor, she gained 10 years of health and was able to become an extraordinary woman. Yes, her life was cut too short and there are still times I wake up in the middle night and ask myself how this could have happened. When I do this, though, I remember what she would have wanted me to do: urge other people to be organ donors, so others can have a chance at life just like she did. She made a huge impact on my life as a result of her 10 extra years.
So, if you find yourself at the DMV or Triple A this break, think about my friend Marisa and check off the box to become an organ donor. Believe me when I tell you that it can truly impact someone's life.Trinity College in Connecticut, in an effort to fix the school's social and academic image, has recently decided to make a new rule that will force all Greek life on campus to go completely co-ed.
The move is part of a strategic plan to help balance the school's social life, which tends to have students running in cliques and has caused academic culture to become out of sync with non-academic life, according to those behind the change. Not being students at the school, we can only speculate as to whether or not this problem actually exists. However, assuming for the sake of argument that every reason for the change that the administration is giving is true, is completely changing the way sororities and fraternities work a solution?
The result of the change is that a lot of these sororities and fraternities are in danger of being eradicated completely. Although the administration is not using this as an excuse to get rid of Greek life, by forcing them to be co-ed many are no longer going to be recognized by their national charters that stipulate that fraternities are for men and sororities are for women.
The administration determined that low grades and high rates of drinking were synonymous with Greek life. They also were responsible for setting the social tone on campus. So, while they say that this isn't an attack on Greek life, the response seems to run contrary to what they say.
Students can apply to be a "society" which means that they will be recognized as a student group but not a nationally recognized sorority or fraternity. Therefore, the attack on Trinity college's Greek life is an empty gesture at best, at least in terms of fixing the social order on campus, the main reason that it's happening at all.
The whole question apparently resulted in the administration trying to determine where they wanted the university to be in 2023, which is their bicentennial. However, eliminating the normal way that Greek life works seems more like it is merely the illusion of fixing the problems on campus rather than an actual solution to them. Not to mention that it is an unnecessary sacrifice on the part of the school because of all of the obvious benefits that organized, nationally chartered Greek life brings to student's social life and campus life. Students who rely on the tradition and socialization that comes from sororities and fraternities can only hope that Trinity College will rethink this unnecessary foe solution to their problem.