Friday marks first deadline in UConn spring election cycle
The spring election season is kicking off as the first major deadline for Undergraduate Student Government candidates approaches. This Friday, the declaration of interest form is due for those interested in running for president, vice president and comptroller.
The Declaration of Interest form is mandatory for those running for the top three elected positions in USG. Those interested in running for USG Senate are urged to submit the form as well; doing so grants candidates access to "resources provided by the Elections Oversight Committee and the Joint Elections Committee," according to the form.
Those resources include a candidate photo shoot and an insert in the Daily Campus paid for by USG, according to the Spring 2014 Elections Packet.
John Giardina, the organization's current chief of staff, said the packet only asks for basic information.
"The form is very simple," he said. "It asks for a candidate's name, NetID, PeopleSoft, email, and the position they are seeking. After candidates have submitted a Declaration of Interest, they will receive an email from me with dates for trainings and the deadline to submit campaign materials for the Daily Campus insert."
The next major date for candidates is Feb. 21, when the elections packet is due. This form is required of all candidates and secures them a place on the ballot. The full list of candidates will be posted on Feb. 24, three days before candidates for top positions will meet at the annual debate in the Student Union.
Voting will open on March 5 and close on March 10. Voting will coincide with a variety of other on-campus elections and approvals, potentially including a referendum to approve USG's proposed constitutional changes. More information about spring elections can be found at vote.uconn.edu.
All of the required forms for candidates can be found on USG's website - usg.uconn.edu - and should be turned in to the USG office in room 219 of the Student Union.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Behind the Printing Press: Talent
- Delta Gamma appeals revoked recognition
- BREAKING: Two UConn Sororities and One Fraternity Banned
- Men's Basketball: Former Huskies take pride in UConn's fourth championship
- Men's Basketball: Different decisions, no regrets for Daniels, Boatright
- UConn Football is Back
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- For Dwight Clark, the Catch Is Chiropractic Care
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools
- Two Sides of Curb Appeal: Beauty and Performance
- Using Subtypes to Guide Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer