New student group focuses on financial advising and investing

By Kim Halpin

If you, like Jordan Grzesczyk, Ravin Walters and Frankie Laratta, have an interest in financial investing and advising, check out UConn's newest club, The Advising and Investing Club.
    The group, officially formed by the trio on Monday, is dedicated to learning more about a variety of financial investments. At the meetings, students will be able to actively engage with the financial industry through current event discussions, the Stock Program Challenge and other interactive learning tools. There will be opportunity for group discussions as well as the chance to hear lectures on targeted financial topics. The goal of the meeting is to pool members' collective experiences. So while one person might not have all the answers, someone in attendance will likely have experience in that area.
 "I believe UConn needs an organization like this because people face a variety of investment decisions throughout their lives on a daily basis," Grzesczyk said. Meetings will cover topics that students encounter either in their current lives or in the near future, including real estate, financial advising, stock market trading and general financial tips. The club is not only interested in large financial investments, but also everyday tips that students can implement into their lives now to improve their financial position.
The Advising and Investing Club already has a line-up of guest speakers for the semester that will present on "investment related fields and exclusive industry knowledge pertaining to their specific field," according to Grzesczyk. Face time with these guests can be beneficial to members seeking advice on investments and the industry. Members of the organization will also have the opportunity to gain volunteer experience through participation in certain projects.
All students are invited to join the club, especially those looking for the opportunity to learn better methods of investing their current and future earnings. Members do not have to be finance or accounting majors, and the club can be a way for students to learn outside of their major. Founding members also encourage people who have unique investing ideas to attend and share their thoughts with others in the club.
"I did not start [the club] because I have all the answers; I started it because I believe bringing together many like-minded people can stimulate collaborative learning," Grzesczyk said. "We want the atmosphere of meetings to be based around everyone learning from each other and bettering their investment knowledge through collaborative efforts."
Currently, UConn plays host to a few other financially minded clubs, including the Trading & Investment Group and the Finance Society. Founding members of the Advising and Investing Club feel that this new group will go beyond what is offered in the other clubs by discussing more than just analytical techniques and business models for targeted markets. The hope is that the interactive element among members will allow for better understanding in the collaborative environment.
The first meeting of the Advising and Investing Club will be held on Monday, Feb. 10 at 7:30 p.m. in the Student Union room 325. Interested students are also encouraged to contact Jordan Grzesczyk at Jordan.Grzesczyk@uconn.edu for more information.