'Display: Marketing as Art' hopes to attract diverse crowd

By Evan Goad
On January 22, 2014

It is not presently uncommon for an individual to feel lost within the massive superstructure of constantly evolving business and corporate images: advertisement campaigns, branding, social networking - the entire culture of marketing has become a visual experience, but less of an interpretive one, a far cry from that produced by the marketing giants of the 19th century like P.T. Barnum.
The American public, to some extent, has been desensitized to the truly individual experience once had while meandering down a crowded street filled with shops and possibly into assorted department stores, or perhaps even devoting an entire weekend to an entertainment act like the circus. The foundations of marketing theory lie here in the individual interpretation, not in the collective. This is the spectrum of personal involvement and deeply rooted individual experience the Contemporary Art Galleries exhibition of "marketing art" seeks out starting on Feb. 3. But the Art Department and this exhibit's curators want to draw a different crowd, one much more diverse than they would normally expect to host for their CAG exhibits.
Anne D'Alleva, Interim Department Head for the Art School, spoke about Barry Rosenberg's exhibit "Display: Marketing as Art." She discussed the implications of this very particular avenue for exposition of marketing tactics (i.e. the interactive feeling marketers no longer seek out). This feeling is provoked while viewing the modern pieces Rosenberg will be curating and the UConn Art School will be hosting for over a month. She also spoke on the audience they hope and intend to draw. Specifically, they are aiming to entice the business-oriented crowd in Storrs: marketing, advertising, branding, computer science, and even management aspects of the business world come into play with the artistic direction of these works.
The Art Department and Rosenberg want to attract students pursuing careers in these fields, or even those simply interested in such enterprises; there is a certain intersection (as previously mentioned) of deeply rooted marketing tactics and its classical theory with the new-age, cutthroat advertising world. This new world is controlled by the science and statistics of branding, and in this world the individual may feel as if they are merely one of a million - a tool to be used, a click to be counted, another consumer to be had and in a nearly identical manner - without a cause other than to be lost among the great numbers with which they associate, to continue and pledge their consumption of goods or services provided by these business powerhouses.
The CAG Exhibition of "Display: Marketing as Art" aligns the consumer's need to understand the visual appeal of persuasive and attractive marketing tactics with the marketer's quest to deliver those same results with a more personal and innovative presentation. The artist of each piece probably feels that their work could be advantageous for both sides in such endeavors. Their work, and more importantly the unique presentation of that work seeks to evoke breakthrough marketing ideas and increased competency in the developing minds of all their viewers.