Legacy Pack aims to create music that speaks for itself

By Matt Gantos
On January 22, 2014

Too many artists are in it for the money these days while not enough are putting out the music for the hope of finding fans that genuinely enjoy it. An example of the latter is the recently expanding band called Legacy Pack.
Notice that there is no genre preceding its name. That's because the sound that band creates isn't one that's easy to define.
According to bassist Tim Malley, "It's a tough one. I guess it's like a dancy hip-hop fusion." Malley had a difficult time trying to draw in the aspects of the group into one genre, which isn't a bad thing at all. Many groups in modern music are combining genres to give themselves an edge over the competition.
Though this was not necessarily intentional the band is more than satisfied with its sound. Legacy Pack's new EP "Fruit of Knowledge" contains a main hip-hop element that branches out into rock and dance.
The hip-hop influence comes from Barshaun Moore, the band's emcee and the real father of the group. Not in a patriarchal manner, but in the sense that much of the Legacy Pack idea was his brain child.
After absorbing the current members of the band, Damyan, Koka, Dub Fuego and Tim Malley, Legacy Pack was formed and began to write songs of its own while making improvements on Barshaun's original tracks.
The collaboration aspect is very interesting because each artist "comes from a different background." Malley said, "It ranges from collegiate study, to church, to marching band and some self-teaching."
Since releasing their first EP "Live from the Lair", Legacy Pack has played with big-name acts such as Mos Def, Public Enemy, De La Soul, and Eligh from Living Legends.
"People like to put us in hip-hop acts a lot and it's fine," Malley said, "we're just trying to put the music out there and let it speak for itself. There really isn't a grand message or for our personal gain, we just want people to hear it because we think they'll like it."
Legacy Pack is based in San Diego but it is reaching out across the country to show people that you don't need a corporate label to get yourself noticed.
"The best part about doing it without a label is that you get to make your own connections instead of other people telling you where to be and what to do." Malley said. "The hard part is that instead, you have to do all that yourself."
Life in general is about connections and marketing yourself. Being in a band is no different. With great talent comes great responsibility to get your own name out there, even if you have to do it yourself.