Bomb threat reported on campus
This photo taken by a Daily Campus writer by UConn Admissions shows police mobilization in response to a bomb threat on campus. Matt Zampini
UConn Alerts issued a yellow banner warning at 9:32 a.m. that there had been a bomb threat in the Tasker Building, colloquially known as Admissions, located by the Fieldhouse and across from Jorgenson.
The message was accompanied by a message to student to "shelter in place" and evacuate nearby buildings.
"Stay where you are, if you're in a dorm room or in a classroom building stay there," Tom Breen of University Communications said.
Officials from the Police Department could not be reached for comment at this point. Breen said that the Fire Department and Police Department are on the scene doing an investigation and that they need students to stay away from the area until the all clear.
Boston University also reported a bomb threat this morning, but there was no bomb found after an investigation.
Due to Tasker's vital traffic position on campus, the bus blotter was filled with drivers warning of traffic jams, inability to reach their destinations, and confusion over where to park and make drop offs.
At 10:45 a.m. students, faculty and staff received word to remain indoors until the all clear and that classes until 12:30 p.m. were canceled.
Hillside road is still blocked off by ticker tape and emergency vehicles. FBI, State Police in full gear as well as UConn Police were in and out of the area. Canine units were used during the investigation. Over 30 emergency vehicles were on sight.
According to Stephanie Reitz, UConn's spokeswoman, no suspicious items were found in the building after the sweep.
The final alert said that classes would resume at 12:30 and that the all clear was signaled.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Delta Gamma appeals revoked recognition
- BREAKING: Two UConn Sororities and One Fraternity Banned
- Men's Basketball: Former Huskies take pride in UConn's fourth championship
- Men's Basketball: Different decisions, no regrets for Daniels, Boatright
- UConn Football is Back
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools
- Two Sides of Curb Appeal: Beauty and Performance
- Using Subtypes to Guide Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer
- 10 Things to Know About the New HiSET High School...
- Champagne Diamonds Make Fashion Transitions Pop This Fall