Knockout coming to UConn
Summer is coming, and SUBOG is organizing an eventful Spring Weekend beginning Friday, April 25, with one feature standing above the rest: a massive game of Knockout.
Knockout, a gym class favorite, features a line of players in front of a basketball hoop. The first player takes a shot from the foul line. If the player makes it, he passes it on to the third person in line, who then competes with the second. If he misses, the second player can make a shot and disqualify the first player, knocking him out. This process is repeated until the last player is eliminated. SUBOG is attempting to attract enough players to the game to break the world record for largest game (by number of participants).
The record, a whopping 656 players, is currently held by Geneva College, a small private college in western Pennsylvania.
"They're a small school," says Jamille Rancourt, an eighth-semester Allied Health major and president of SUBOG. "We're much bigger, so we should be able to beat [Geneva] easily."
Beyond the simple act of challenging a record, the event will offer free t-shirts and racing bibs to everyone who goes, provided they sign up through the UConn Basketball Knock Out Facebook page.
Rancourt answered some questions about the rest of Spring Weekend, saying that she has a view to "set new traditions" here at UConn this spring. She articulated that she wants to "encourage students to stay on campus" and participate in the fun. She said that "a lot of students complain" of a chronic shortage of things to do in the weeks before finals, but that it shouldn't present a problem this year. Rancourt revealed plans for a "food truck festival" in store for students along with a faculty-run show.
Rancourt said that she expects an impressive turnout, as "the University has put so much into it." She wants to see "everybody get super excited" about Spring Weekend, to get everyone ready for the summer and the year that lies ahead.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Behind the Printing Press: Talent
- Delta Gamma appeals revoked recognition
- BREAKING: Two UConn Sororities and One Fraternity Banned
- Men's Basketball: Former Huskies take pride in UConn's fourth championship
- Men's Basketball: Different decisions, no regrets for Daniels, Boatright
- UConn Football is Back
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- For Dwight Clark, the Catch Is Chiropractic Care
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools