Price Chopper to open in Storrs Center by July

By Miles Halpine

A new grocery store in downtown Mansfield is expected to be completed within the next three months, signaling more progress and finished projects for the Storrs Center. A nearby building also being constructed in the same area is attracting some conversation among students as to what it will be for.
While most of the area near Royce Circle and Dog Lane is either opened or near completion, the construction is still underway for the site where a Price Chopper will be located by the time summer begins.
According to a statement released in August 2012, Howard Kaufman, Managing Member of LeylandAlliance, the developer for Storrs Center, said a lease was signed with Price Chopper to open a custom-designed supermarket in Storrs Center.
"Price Chopper is planning a neighborhood market that is innovative in its design and will cater to the needs of the Storrs/Mansfield community," Kaufman said. "We're especially pleased that the grocery store will be walkable for many people who live or work nearby."
While the release said expectations are that the store could open as early as fall 2013, a target date for completion of Price Chopper was set at June 2014. At a recent update presented to the town council, officials from the Mansfield Downtown Partnership (MDP) and LeylandAlliance said construction on Phase Four of the Storrs Center project started in spring 2013 and that it will be completed in summer 2014.
The area where Price Chopper is being constructed will be known as Market Square and is located across the street from the Audrey P. Beck Building, Mansfield's town hall.
"The neighborhood is being designed to meet daily needs of Mansfield residents and the UConn community," according to the Storrs Center website.
As of right now, the nearest grocery store to the UConn campus in Storrs is currently the Big Y Mansfield Supermarket near Willimantic, which is about six miles of driving and ten minutes away. The new Price Chopper will be in walking distance, less than half a mile and a five minute walk from campus.
An adjacent building on the same land, near the four-way intersection of Storrs and South Eagleville roads, has caused many students to question what will be there. Some thought it would be a gas station or store.
It is actually a 5,000 square foot complex that will be used as commercial space for interested businesses. Kathleen M. Paterson, communications and special projects manager for the MDP, said no leases have been signed for this commercial building yet. The town council update said that MDP and LeylandAlliance are in discussion with tenants.
Price Chopper has grocery stores located in Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania and Vermont. The new location at Storrs Center, which will be almost 32,000 square feet, will be the 9th store in the state and 133rd store overall.