Worldfest celebrates cultural clubs with music, food, dance

By Fatir Qureshi

On Mar. 9 at the University of Connecticut International Student & Scholar Services hosted it's annual Worldfest, a celebration of the multicultural and diversity found among UConn students.
The many presentations featured at the event were the work of the many cultural and ethnic clubs found on campus.
"We asked the student organizations if they wanted to take part, and then they arranged for their presentations and displays," said Mihwa Lee, Director of International Student & Scholar Services.
Many different student clubs organized performances during the day including the Albanian Student Association, UConn Taiko Club, Chinese Student & Scholar Association, Nubian Foxes, UCAsianision, Tarang, Husky Hungama, Capoeira, UConn Irish and the Polish Cultural Society.
The performances varied from intricate instrumental routines to elaborate dances and martial arts demonstrations. Often, the performances also included an interactive component after their main presentations allowing the audience to take part in the performance to some degree.
Many student organizations spent the past few months for Worldfest.
"We were probably practicing for about two months so far," said Polish Cultural society member and 6th-semester Molecular and Cell Biology major, Adrian Ilinski.
A broad range of international food was also available which featured dishes such as perogies, vegetable curry samosas, tamarind chutney, chicken teriyaki and pot-sticks.
Additionally, the event featured a broad range of exhibits that showcased a wide variety of cultures from around the world. Some exhibits also featured items available for purchase from their respective countries and nations. They featured the arts of their respective culture along with historical and geographic information, allowing for various student organizations to illuminate their unique culture and heritage to their fellow students.
"Many Saudi students are here in both the graduate and undergraduate level. We organized this presentation to allow us to show our friends the culture of the Saudi," said Saudi Student Club President, BadarAmong the student organizations to have only exhibits were the Asian Cultural Society, Cambodian Student Association, Chinese Language and Cultural Club, Global House, Iranian Cultural Society, Rumi Intercultural Club, Saudi Student Association, Ukrainian Student Association and Asha for Education.
The Student Union Board of Governors also had it's own unique activity at Worldfest, which was a photo booth that used a green screen to take pictures in a diverse range of international settings. The unique booth was titled "Postcards from Around the World."