Sorority under investigation for recent hazing allegations
Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority members and Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity members are under investigation for alleged hazing of sophomore Hillary Holt and others.
In an interview with NBC, Holt said she and some other women were told to lay on the floor and sizzle like bacon, hold their ankles and jump up and down, all while being forced to drink alcohol.
Holt said she woke up in a hospital with her blood alcohol level at nearly three times the legal limit.
The national Kappa Kappa Gamma organization is investigating the alleged incident.
The case has been transferred from UConn police to the state police since the alleged incident occurred off-campus, according to university spokesperson Stephanie Reitz.
In addition to the state police involvement, UConn has started an internal investigation to determine whether any students may have violated the school's Code of Conduct.
Students who violate the Code of Conduct could receive disciplinary sanctions that range from warnings to expulsions. Student organizations can also face disciplinary actions, which range from warnings to loss of recognition by the university.
"The safety and welfare of our students is our highest priority," Reitz said. "While we can't comment on individual cases, UConn has zero tolerance for hazing and has strict regulations that prohibit this behavior in all of its forms."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care