Men's Track and Field: Huskies finish second at IC4A

By Matt Kren

The UConn men's track and field team competed in the IC4A championship in Boston this weekend, a three day meet which is there last team meet for the season. For the first time this year, the Huskies finished second in the meet with 54 points, tying with Albany and trailing first place Cornell by 22 points.
The first two days of the event are considered one day as the competitors are trying to qualify for a spot in the finals on Sunday. After day one of the event, the Huskies had eight out of 10 of their competitors qualified for the final heats on day two and both relay teams qualified as well. Senior captain Darnell Cummings and sophomore Robert Rhodes both set top qualifying times in their respective events, the 200-meter dash for Cummings and the 500-meter dash for Rhodes. Freshman Patrick Hayes also qualified for the 200-meter dash, along with sophomore Trelonni Elliot who earned a spot in the 60-meter dash, senior Kyle Twombly and sophomore Robert Hovanec who qualified in the 400-meter and senior Paul DeSalvo, who posted a qualifying time in the 800-meter run.
Some field events were scored on day one, as the Huskies were led by sophomore Harley Lacroix who had a third place finish in the triple jump which was good enough for six points for the Huskies total.
During the second day, most of the events were scored including the 500-meter dash. Sophomore Robert Rhodes placed first, earning 10 points for the team. Rhodes beat his qualifying time in the final event, earning 10 points for the team and beating the second place competitor by over a second. Cummings finished second in the 200-meter, earning eight points for the team, while in the 400-meter senior Kyle Twombly and sophomore Robert Hovanec got sixth and ninth respectively, both earning points. In the 800-meter dash senior Paul DeSalvo finished in 7th, in the mile run, freshman Michael O'Donnell got eighth and in the two team events, 4x400 relay and distance medley, UConn received 5th and 7th. In the field events, the Huskies who earned points in the pole vault were senior captain Cory Duggan who earned eight points in second place and freshman Craig Hunter who earned five points in fourth. In the shot put, senior captain Eric Masington earned four points in the team as he finished in 5th place with a throw of 17.25 meters.
With a lot of competitors not competing this week, including NCAA-bound sophomore Alvaro Chavez, the team finished off the season on a high note with a second place finish in the IC4A and a first place finish in the inaugural AAC championships.