Olympian appears on 'Suits'

By Emily Lewson

The hit show "Suits" returned Thursday night, finishing out its third season. While the episodes had been sub-par before its break, the returning episode, "Burning Secrets," is an emotional and beguiling hour.
Although unusual for the show, "Buried Secrets" brought in a special guest: celebrity and Olympian Michael Phelps. The necessity of Phelp's character in the storyline is debatable. However, his name certainly captures a certain audience and will boost viewing numbers.
"He is playing himself: Michael Phelps," Patrick J. Adams (who plays Mike Ross) told "Access Hollywood." "The only man who can play Michael Phelps is playing Michael Phelps."
Adams continued to explain that the guest appearance was more typical of "Entourage" and so "Suits" tends to shy away. However, Phelps was very interested in appearing,
"He was such a fan of the show and such a big supporter of the show that we were excited to have him on and there's a lot of heart there," Adams said.
Phelps plays into the unfolding relationship of Harvey Specter (Gabriel Macht) and Dana Scott (Abigail Spencer). In an attempt to prove herself as a worthy lawyer, Scottie lands Phelps as a client, a feat Harvey was unable to accomplish. Despite this career highlight, Scottie's romantic relationship with Harvey causes difficulties in her future at the firm of Pearson-Specter.
Risking her career, the Scottie-Harvey romance returns. This time it seems different. Scottie is finally able to draw out Harvey's emotional side. Honesty becomes a foundation in their relationship. However, the two banter and flirt as coyly as ever. They have become TV's sexiest couple. Scottie's return to the show has brought back romance and confidence; she is a whirlwind and a joy to watch.
While Harvey and Scottie engage in flirty courtship, Mike Ross and Rachel Zane (Meghan Markle) grow more serious. After last episode saw Rachel's decision to stay in New York, the couple decides to move in together. They enjoy each other and their happiness is pleasant to watch. While they have been simple characters in the past, Mike and Rachel are beginning to grow as a couple. As Mike faces the lawyer who handled his parents' case, Rachel supports him as he relives painful memories. With her support, Mike rediscovers his father's love for life and for his mother. This love transcends into his relationship with Rachel and is beautiful to watch.
As Mike learns about his family values, Louis Litt (Rick Hoffman) digs deeper into Mike's background. The show's basis lies in the fact that Mike has a photographic memory, allowing him to cover up the fact that he never went to Harvard (or any other) law school. In the mid-season finale, Louis discovered Mike's file was missing from the Harvard file cabinet. This information drives Louis to inquire about Mike's past.
"He's gonna come after Mike," Adams said, "[Louis] is coming after Mike hard and obviously we're going to have to move quickly and do everything in our power to keep him from figuring it out."
As the drama unfolds Louis grows more intense and more invested in Mike's past. When juxtaposed to the other plotlines' bliss, Louis' suspicions became increasingly unnerving.
As a whole, the show covers a gamut of emotions. Audiences are sent on an enjoyable roller coaster: soaring through the highs of true love and experiencing the lows of grief. The many storylines intermingle perfectly. Next week's episode will hopefully continue this entertaining return of "Suits."