Lacrosse: Kahn scores OT winner against James Madison

By Eddie Leonard

The UConn women's lacrosse team beat James Madison University 14-13 in a double overtime thriller Sunday at the George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex.
UConn was down 5-2 in the beginning of the game, but they came storming back with three straight goals, two from Katherine Finkelston and one from Jacqueline Jordan.
Connecticut and JMU exchanged goals for the remainder of the half and the game was tied at eight at intermission.
UConn continued to build momentum in the second half after Finkelston scored her fourth goal of the game off of a rebound on a free position.
UConn coach Kathleen Woods said Finkelston's play boosted the team's morale.
"Katherine was excellent," Woods said. "She stayed in the moment and took the openings that she was given. She had a quick release on all of her shots which helped her be successful."
UConn's Kasey Pippitt gave the Huskies a two-goal lead after she scored her second goal of the game with 24 minutes left in the match.
The Dukes retaliated with a run of three goals from Taylor Gress, Amy Roguski, and Ali Curwin. Curwin's goal gave the Dukes a 11-10 lead.
However, Connecticut's Lauren Kahn tied the game at 11 less than a minute later. Kahn's teammate Ally Frazio then scored what looked to be the game-winning goal. Connecticut had a one goal lead with 3 minutes remaining.
Connecticut's defense held strong for three minutes as the Dukes raided the offensive zone.
"The defense was key for us today," Woods said. "They have gained a lot of confidence on the defensive side of the ball."
The final 10 seconds was when the game got wild. UConn had a 12-11 lead with 10 seconds left. JMU would draw two penalties in the final 10 seconds and earn themselves two free shots. The Dukes were able to capitalize on the second attempt. The referees counted the goal but then the goal was waved off due to illegal stick controversy.
"After a goal is scored, the shooter must drop her stick," Woods said. "In this case, however, multiple JMU players dropped their sticks after the goal. One of the sticks had an illegal pocket and the controversy was over if it was the shooters stick or not."
After 15 minutes of review, the referees reversed the call for the second time and decided to count the goal. The bizarre ending resulted in a tie with two seconds left and the game went to overtime.
UConn's Jacqueline Jordan scored first in overtime but Leah Monticello was able to score a goal for the Dukes with 11 seconds left to force a sudden death second overtime.
Kahn took it on her shoulders to lead the Huskies in the second overtime. Kahn ran through three defenders and scored the game winning goal 23 seconds into the second overtime.
"This overtime win is a huge momentum game for us," Woods said. " We have had a lot of close battles and tough losses early this season. It is huge that we know that we can compete with the best teams in the country."
UConn's next game is Friday against Oregon. The game is scheduled to start at 7 p.m.