Softball: UConn drops to 2-10 over difficult weekend
The UConn softball team picked up three wins in four games at the Winthrop/Adidas Invitational in Rock Hill, S.C this weekend.
The Huskies were originally slated to take on Youngstown State and Winthrop Friday, but both games were rained out. UConn's game against Winthrop was canceled, and the Youngstown State game was moved to Sunday morning.
UConn started the weekend with one of its best performances all year, defeating Eastern Kentucky 3-2 in eight innings.
The Huskies were powered by a stellar complete game from pitcher Lauren Duggan, who struck out five and allowed only two hits. Alyson Ambler hit a two run home run in the fourth to give UConn a 2-1 lead.
Eastern Kentucky later tied the game in the bottom of the seventh, forcing the game into extra innings, where Taylor Townsend knocked in the game winning run in the top of the eighth to give the Huskies their second win of the season.
UConn continued their winning ways in the second game of the day by beating Wright State 8-1. It marked the first time that the Huskies won back-to-back games this season.
The Huskies were able to extend their winning streak to three games by defeating Youngstown State 3-2. The streak soon came to an end after a 7-2 loss to Norfolk State in the final game of the weekend.
Freshman Kayla Doty gave up four earned runs on nine hits over four innings pitched to drop to 0-2 on the season.
Although the pitching was not as good as it was the day before, it wasn't UConn's only issue.
Norfolk State pitcher Jamie Schulle was able to keep the Husky offense at bay to win her third game of the season, going the distance and striking out five.
UConn could only muster two hits in 26 at bats while stranding eight runners on base. The loss dropped the Huskies to 3-1 on the weekend and 4-10 overall.
The Huskies resume play next Friday at the Michelle Smith Spring Break Tournament in Clearwater, Fla.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest