Baseball: UConn swept by Gators in weekend trip to Florida

By Matt Zampini

It was a tough weekend in Gainesville, Fla. for the UConn baseball team.
UConn dropped all three contests to the Florida Gators in extra innings over the weekend, falling to 4-8 on the season. The Huskies have gone to extra innings in six out of their 12 games.
On Friday, a pitchers duel broke out between UConn's Jordan Tabakman and Florida's Logan Shore. Both pitchers didn't allow more than a hit an inning through six innings. Tabakman turned in his best performance of the year, not allowing a run while on the mound for the first time this year.
The best opportunity of the game came when the Gators loaded the bases in the seventh inning. David Mahoney came in the game for UConn to relieve Tabakman and was able to work out of the jam by forcing a fly out to keep the game scoreless.
The deadlock was finally broken in the 11th inning when Casey Turgeon delivered the only run of the game, notching a two-out single that scored Josh Tobias from second base.
Saturday was more of the same between the Huskies and Gators as Florida was able to walk-off once again, this time in the 10th inning, to beat UConn 2-1.
Anthony Marzi made his fourth start of the season, tossing 7.1 innings, allowing four hits and three walks. The Huskies were able to outhit the Gators but left 12 base runners stranded. Vinny Siena drove in the only run for UConn and also went 2-for-4.
Mahoney entered the game in the 10th inning and surrendered the game winning run by hitting Florida's Zack Powers with the bases loaded to bring home Buddy Reed.
For the third time in as many days, the Huskies were defeated in extra innings, this time in a much higher scoring affair.
Taylor Gushue went 2-for-3 with three runs batted in to help the Gators beat the Huskies 6-5, completing the weekend sweep. Blake Davey led the way for the Huskies going 2-for-3 with two runs and a run batted in.
The extra inning on Sunday proved to be beneficial for Siena, as he was able to extend his hit streak to 17 games, dating back to last season.
The Huskies are next out on the diamond on Wednesday when they will travel to Bridgeport, Conn. to take on the Pioneers of Sacred Heart.