Former Professor dies at age 72
Marvin R. Thompson Jr., of Storrs, Conn. passed away Friday, April 18, 2014 at 72, peacefully asleep at the Regency Heights Nursing Home.
Thompson was a physicist and professor at UConn for 36 years. He contributed to the development of laser leukemia treatment and designed and created a giant spectrometer capable of magnifying the image of the AIDS virus enough to conduct better research on it. He was also involved in a Mars experiment in which he hoped to find extraterrestrial life. He retired in 2008, according to the Tolland Funeral Home
Thompson was born in Mineola, NY on April 7, 1942, the son of the now deceased Marvin Thompson Sr., and his wife Florence. He leaves behind his wife, Diane Thompson (nÃ©e Goodsell-Andreoli) and two daughters: Florence Debra Lent of Guilford, Conn. and Julie DiDonato of Audubon, Pa; as well as two sisters, Dorothy Bellew and Diana Thompson, and three grandchildren, according to the Tolland Memorial Funeral Home.
Thompson graduated from Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School and enrolled at Syracuse University. However, he eventually decided on the University of Connecticut, where he earned his Bachelors in Science in physics after a brief career with the U.S. Air Force.
Thompson's funeral will be held on April 26, 2014, at the Tolland Memorial Funeral Home in Tolland, CT.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Delta Gamma appeals revoked recognition
- BREAKING: Two UConn Sororities and One Fraternity Banned
- Men's Basketball: Former Huskies take pride in UConn's fourth championship
- Men's Basketball: Different decisions, no regrets for Daniels, Boatright
- UConn Football is Back
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools
- Two Sides of Curb Appeal: Beauty and Performance
- Using Subtypes to Guide Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer
- 10 Things to Know About the New HiSET High School...
- Champagne Diamonds Make Fashion Transitions Pop This Fall