Freshman Omar Calhoun named Big East Rookie of the Week
UConn freshman guard Omar Calhoun was named the Big East Rookie of the Week on Monday, claiming the honor for the second time this season.
Calhoun was the Huskies' most consistent player last week, averaging 15.5 points and six rebounds over UConn's two games.
The Brooklyn native stepped up late in the second half on Wednesday against No. 6 Syracuse. Calhoun shot 3-5 from three-point range and ended the game with 15 points, as UConn knocked off the Orange in their final Big East meeting.
On Saturday, Calhoun was even more important to the Huskies offense, as Shabazz Napier and Ryan Boatright went quiet from the field. Calhoun scored a team-high 16 points and grabbed six rebounds, despite UConn's 70-61 loss to Villanova.
Calhoun first won the Rookie of the Week award on Dec. 24, after averaging 19.5 points during UConn's wins over Maryland-Eastern Shore and Fordham. He joins St. John's JaKarr Sampson and Villanova's Ryan Arcidiacono as the only players to win the award multiple times this season.
Overall, Calhoun has enjoyed a successful freshman season. He is the team's third-leading scorer behind Napier and Boatright and he ranks 30th in the Big East Conference, averaging 11.5 points per game, and he is shooting 33 percent from three-point range.
Calhoun has started every game for the Huskies and has been trusted by Coach Kevin Ollie with 30.9 minutes on the floor per game.
The Huskies will continue to look to Calhoun as a third offensive threat when they take on the Cincinnati Bearcats on Thursday at 7 p.m. at the XL Center in Hartford.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- Column: Diaco's energy, attitude breathe new life into UConn
- Football: Diaco 'jacked' to get training camp started with Huskies
- Column: Davis in advantageous position to reach elite level for UConn
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?