UConn launches online accounting certification program
The UConn School of Business and Department of Accounting has announced a new online Accounting Certificate Program (ACP) that will be begin offering courses in the fall of 2014.
When asked what inspired faculty to develop this, Director of the MS in Accounting and this new program, Dr. Amy Dunbar said demand. "We had applicants to our online MSA program who did not have the required accounting courses in their undergraduate degree coursework," Dunbar said. "And they asked where they could take these courses online." These applicants include individuals in the workforce, both with and without undergraduate business degrees.
Experts in the accounting faculty who teach related courses in UConn's undergraduate program have designed the curriculum. As of now, the four courses offered are Financial Reporting I, Federal Income Taxes, Financial Reporting II and Assurance Services.
"Because certificate courses will be more compressed," Dunbar said, "We looked at a flexible textbook editor that would allow us to combine materials from multiple textbooks to enable use to provide the course content from undergraduate courses into our four courses."
Dunbar listed flexibility as the greatest benefit to the online program versus a traditional program. "Many of our students are working full-time, and it's hard to leave work, commute to class, commute home and then do your coursework. With online you save that commuting time," she said.
Another benefit to the program is that all the courses are reverse-engineered. This means that course designers identified learning objectives and assessments first, and then developed the course to meet those learning objectives.
The courses will use technology to interact with students and set online "Google Hangout" type meetings through Lync, Skype and Adobe Connect. This aims to combine the benefits of asynchronous course material delivery with synchronous interaction with instructors.
"We have a track record that shows we can deliver a great program online. Our MSA program, ranked by U.S. News is in the top 25 in the last two years, has operated for 12 years," Dunbar said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Daily Campus News Articles
Recent Daily Campus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DAILY CAMPUS NEWS
- UConn ranks first for gluten free
- #ICYMI Five Things to Know About Today's Title IX Settlement
- UConn Reaches Title IX Settlement
- Women's Soccer: Hill in camp for US ahead of U-20 World Cup
- 'One Plate, Two Plate' Coming to Student Union for Fall Semester
- Supreme Court reaches landmark decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby
- Elizabeth Park in West Hartford
RECENT DAILY CAMPUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit