Decorating your dorm room for Christmas

By Loumarie Rodriguez
On November 29, 2012

Despite the fact that dorm rooms at UConn have been compared to jail cells (depending on which hall you live in), students still find ways to deck them out and make them look somewhat decent for the year. However the holiday season is upon us and although there are only about two and a half weeks left in the semester, it doesn't hurt to show some holiday spirit by decorating your room for the occasion. 

Decorating a dorm room is very easy, especially for the holiday season, since every convenience store has been selling decorations since the beginning of the school year. Also, decorations are cheap and can go a long way in making the dorm room festive. Even the Dollar Store has decent garland to hang on the walls if you want to keep it low budget. If you're buying from the Dollar Store try to stay away from their Christmas lights and stick to the simple garland. Remember: you get you what you paid for and dorm fires can be very dangerous. So stay with the basics if you're buying from the Dollar Store. As garland and maybe a few door, wall or window decorations can go a long way.

Although dollar stores do have interesting finds, their stock can obviously be limited. Garland of every color and length can be found at your neighborhood Wal-Mart and Target. Garland may be simple but it can really spruce up a dingy dorm room during the holiday season. Walking into bright colors reminds us that the giving season is upon us can really lift the mood as we head into exam time.  

If you really want to be festive, go for Christmas lights because they can really brighten up the room. Although multicolor lights are fun, try something different, such as single color lights (and I don't mean just the white lights, because those can be blah). Wal-Mart, Target and CVS offer a variety of lights to choose from of every shape, size and color. You too can be bold, try purple with the large bulbs, which can make your room standout, or even mix colors as well. Try green lights with pink or blue and green with round bulbs rather than the standard bulbs. Decorating a room with lights is fun but hanging lights can be a pain, so be sure to use either duck tape to hold them up or cheap hooks that can be found at the Co-Op. Command hooks are easy to put on and very simple to take off without damaging the wall. 

Your door can also be decked out for the holiday season by making a large bow out of ribbon, which will always come out unique depending on the pattern you pick for the ribbon. Bows are very simple to do since you have been tying your shoelaces for years, but if you want to get fancier, a quick Google search can teach you to tie a nicer bow. Unfortunately, you can't frost your windows for the winter look with instant snow-in-a-can. However, you can stick gel decorations on the window, which, again, is cheap and simple to put on and peel off. Hanging simple stars or ornaments from the ceiling is also fun; however, be sure they are far from the sprinklers. Also, sometimes convenience stores offer UConn holiday apparel and decorations, such as Christmas stockings, and usually for a cheaper price. Be sure to be on the lookout for these items as well so you can mix festivity with UConn pride.  

The holiday season is here only once a year and a good portion of the season is spent at school. Yes, finals are around the corner, but that doesn't mean you have to be a miserable Scrooge during your long study sessions. Spruce up the room with some holiday cheer this season. Make sure to play some holiday tunes while you decorate!