7-Eleven hosts grand opening

By Michael Corasaniti
On November 29, 2012

• 24-hour convenience store franchise 7-Eleven opened at Storrs Center Wednesday. The store offered customers free coffee and Slurpees during the day and students . See the story on page two for more information. RACHEL WEISS/The Daily Campus

UConn's Storrs Center continued its expansion yesterday, when the new 7-Eleven in Storrs Center opened its doors to the public for the first time.
7-Eleven is the newest and only 24-hour option for food and other necessities on campus, store manager Quazi Quasem said she is excited to work with the UConn community as it continues to expand.
"We're looking forward to doing business here because the students here don't have that 24-hour option anywhere on campus," Quasem said. "I'm hoping that we'll do very well here and I look forward to working with the students here."
The store, located in between FroyoWorld and Moe's in the new Storrs Center, sells everything from sodas to DVD's to hot dogs, not to mention essentials such as bread and milk.
"We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year serving our taquitos, slurpees, anything you name it that a student here needs," Quasem said.
The store celebrated its grand UConn opening with free coffee, slurpee and soda giveaways for customers. According to Laura Muro, a 3rd-semester human development and family studies major with a coffee in each hand, the store's opening created greater selection for students on campus.
"It definitely creates another great option, especially for late nights when you're looking to get something. It makes things a lot easier," said Muro.
Since the closing of Tedeschi, formerly known as Store24 (a former UConn late night staple), Storrs lacked a singular place on campus open past 3 a.m. 7-Eleven has changed that.
"With Tedeschi gone, I'm glad there will again be somewhere I can pick up Ginger-Ale or a pack of gum whenever I see fit," said Jay Garrish, a 3rd-semester social studies education major and former Shippee resident. "It's definitely exciting for campus and especially that part of campus."
Students living in either the Bucklee or Shippee residence halls are somewhat further removed from the center of campus than other dorms, making the Storrs Center project and especially the 24-hour 7-Eleven even more enticing.
"Bucklee can be so far away from everything on campus sometimes," said Olivia Crable, a 1st-semster biology major and Bucklee resident. "We can get everything here now that we used to have to walk all the way to the Union for."
As well as providing a new, convenient option for students on campus, Quasem also hopes that the opening of her store will provide a positive contribution to the overall UConn community.
"We take care of our people very well here, we treat them as guests so that they feel welcome here," said Quasem. "I look forward to the community here treating us equally as well."