Column: Oshie may not believe it, but he's a hero nonetheless

By Ryan Tolmich

Shortly after scoring the game-winning shootout goal against Russia over the weekend, St. Louis Blues star T.J. Oshie uttered what has become the quote of the Olympics thus far.
"The American heroes are the ones wearing camo," Oshie said. "That's not me."
When it comes down to it, Oshie has a point.
There are men and women all over the world serving this great nation suffering, hurting and even dying to protect the country they love.
There are plenty of people on this earth who do more important things than play a game. There are doctors, teachers and police officers all over the world that deserve more respect and admiration than someone that makes millions to score goals.
However, despite Oshie's humility, he couldn't be farther from the truth.
Heroes aren't just those that serve and protect. Heroes are people that make a difference. Heroes are those that give people something that they never could have had on their own.
Heroes are those that show persistence, even if it means fighting time and time again in front of a crowd of thousands that is begging for your failure.
Heroes are those that show that anything is possible. Even a man from a Minnesota town of just 2,000 people can make the biggest of differences on a world stage.
Heroes are those that demonstrate honor and integrity. In the face of success, they remain who they are, humble and respectful.
Most importantly, heroes are those that give people a reason to believe in something bigger than them. Heroes give people something to hold onto, something to feel.
At the end of the day, Oshie was right. There are plenty of heroes in this world. Athletes shouldn't be placed on a pedestal above those that sacrifice so much.
But, for those few moments, Oshie showed us that heroes aren't just those that physically defend. Heroes are those that make you feel something that you've never felt before.
And that is exactly why T.J. Oshie is a hero. Oshie provided American fans with much more than a shootout win; he gave us a belief, a feeling.
True heroes may wear camo, but at the end of the day, it's nice to know that there's at least one wearing a USA hockey sweater.