'Endless Love' a fantastic remake of classic romance

By Ashley Maher

For a girl going out with her friends on Valentine's Day to see a sappy, corny, dramatic love story, "Endless Love" was everything one could have hoped and anticipated for. It all begins with the two unlikely characters that instantly and effortlessly fall in love. Jade Butterfield, played by Gabriella Wilde, and David Elliot, played by *sigh* Alex Pettyfer, vow to spend their summer together before life forces them to separate when Jade leaves for college and David stays in their sleepy Georgia town to work in his father's mechanic shop.
The movie then whisks into a musical montage of scenes showing the couple as they fall in love: going to a music festival, dancing in a fountain, riding in the bed of a truck-wind in their hair professing their love for one another-nothing unlike any other romantic drama such as "The Notebook" or "The Last Song."
But one aspect of the movie that I believed placed it in the upper echelon of the classic romantic dramas was its unexpected twists of dark subplots. David, while being the seemingly perfect guy, has a dark past that he is continuing to struggle with, while Jade Butterfield's perfect family has many flaws of their own that they are trying to hide. Jade Butterfield's father, Hugh Butterfield (played by Bruce Greenwood), did an amazing job with his role as a protective father who was struggling with deep psychological pain due to a family tragedy, while the mother Anne Butterfield (played by Joely Richardson) strove to be the strong woman who would fight to keep her family intact.
The intensity of emotion and tragedy that infused this movie was quite unexpected but was also very well done by the entire cast. Each character did their own part in embodying many true to life adversities and the psychological struggle that comes along with them. The depth of emotion and psychological strain that faced each of the characters proved to be much greater than other movies of this kind. It almost made the viewer forget how young the main characters actually were supposed to be. The plot was consistently moving, exciting twists happening, always keeping the viewer on their toes. There really was not ever a dull moment.
To offset these intense dramatic scenes there were also a great deal of comedic relief as well, which made the movie quite appealing. The characters Mace (played by Dayo Okeniyi) and Kieth Butterfield (played by Rhys Wakefield) added much of the humor to the movie. Their off hand comments and lightening-of-the-mood jokes did not seem forced or intentional, but actually were well-timed and original, another aspect of the movie that caught me off guard.
Though a handful of scenes were worth rolling your eyes at and downright painfully awkward to watch, the movie was overall quite entertaining, suspenseful and even surprising. Just the romantic drama I was expecting, but then even a little more!
8.5/10