Taekwondo club spotlight

By Ashley Maher

Aside from being their own unique group, T-Huskies blends their diverse group of members to bring awareness and an appreciation for a culture that often goes overlooked. Sitting down with my cousin Garrett Grothe, a member of the T-Huskies, he was sure to make a distinction between the T-Huskies and the Taekwondo club team, which travels to take part in competitions with other schools.
"The T-Huskies do more performances, more acrobatics, fight scenes, skits and performances around campus," said Grothe. "We still train in techniques that are applied in the self defense manner, but bring in modern twists. It's meant to be a work out and get your blood pumping as well as a performance."
The T-Huskies have also begun to involve a wider variety of people as well as forms of martial arts. "We used to be strictly Taekwondo but we've become more of a fusion group, incorporating many different types of martial arts." The group has expanded to involve people from many different martial arts backgrounds in the past year. Due to a great deal of the group graduating last spring, they were forced to do some rebuilding. "We want to incorporate many people in the club and not cut off those who are talented in other things." There is a strong drive in the club to showcase the overall beauty and power of martial arts and from this goal, bring together a wider array of people, who may not have been involved otherwise.
Asia Night, their biggest event of the year, was held this past Saturday. To be a part of this event, the team was required to audition and be chosen to perform. From there, they worked together to prepare their own original choreography as well as create music mash-ups to which they performed. Their choreography could involve anything from acrobatic stunts, traditional forms of martial arts, to funny or dramatic skits and fight scenes. During their practices leading up to big performances, they not only perfect their routines but also work a great deal on the basics. "We do this to make an overall increase in our showmanship and style," said Grothe. "We want to be the show-stoppers."
Besides wanting to impress audiences with their performances, one of their main goals as a club is to spread culture to an area of history that is often glossed over. "We want to create a visual that would make people excited about learning about new cultures. We want to entice people about what we do, put them at the edge of their seats," said Grothe. The group has a strong passion for what they do, and want to give others the opportunity to learn about this culture in an interactive and thrilling way- something that a lecture in a classroom won't always give you.
This common goal amongst the members has caused the T-Huskies to become quite a close-knit group, which also helps a great deal with their showmanship in performances. Being in sync with one another in and outside the club has lead to a great deal of success in performances, causing them to work optimally with one another.
The club is looking to expand for next semester. Currently, the club meets weekly in the Armory and the Field House from 9-11 p.m. They are currently working on getting earlier practice times, as well as setting up meet ups outside the club to really get to know one another. "Most of the people that have been joining now are brand new to martial arts," said Grothe. "We have people with zero years of experience all the way to people with 15. Our whole goal is to teach every member the ins and outs of the trade. We want everyone to learn and have fun."